Please suggest food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please suggest food

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlease suggest food

I live in a small town and just found out I was feeding the worst food my dogs could have. Walmart has no brand named foods so please help me. I'll be ording online. I have read on Artemis Maximal, Blue Wilderness, Innova EVO and Go Natural but I have no quess as which one to order. Anybody use these?
    My dogs will be forever grateful

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Please suggest food

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

It's hard to say which food is best for your dogs. What my dog does well on doesn't mean your dog will do well on it, AND as I've learned over the years, the best food on "paper" (ie. ingredients etc) doesn't necessarily mean it's the best food for your dog. It's feeding what works for your dog.

This is a great site to learn about how to identify better ingredients etc.
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Do you have a Costco near you? I know a lot of people feed Kirkland from Costco... ?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Those are all good foods.

Basically you want to research foods and figure out which ones you like, and then it becomes a matter of seeing which one your dogs do best on. Keep in mind that you will be feeding much less of a good food than you have to with a "filler" food.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Do you have a feed or farm store near you? Sometimes they will carry Diamond or other brands.

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

My old Auggie has been doing very well on Innova Evo for a year and a half now.

She weighs 74 pounds and is fed a variety of table scraps (1/3 cup per meal) and then 3/4 cup of Evo - I feed twice a day.

Before that I fed her Solid Gold Hundenflocken for several years, but wanted to get away from any grains, since she is now living with liver cancer.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

visit here for your all needs....

labby is offline Senior Member

Mine are on ProPlan made by Purina.

Laura

Angus was on Eukanuba large breed puppy and he did splendidly. We switched him to Eagle Pack Holistic chicken a few months ago for the kibble portion of his diet. he seems to be doing well on it thusfar.

How old are your dogs? Could you tell us more about them and how they do on their current foods?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Some have mentioned Costco's Kirkland and some Diamond.

I feed Puff Costco's Kirkland Chicken & Rice which is made by the same company that makes Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul as well as Diamond Naturals The Kirkland product is the house brand name of Costco (like Kenmore & Craftsman for Sears) and it's very similar but not quite identical to the similar Diamond Naturals product. (There's a huge difference between Diamond and Diamond Naturals -- the former is cheaper and has lots of grain and fillers; the DN does not.)

Here's a link for the Diamond dealer locator:

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/

And here are the ingredients of "Diamond Naturals C&R":

Ingredients
    Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

AAFCO Statement: Animal feeding test using Association of American Feed Control Officials procedures substantiate that Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice Adult Dog Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast