Nausea or Bloat?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nausea or Bloat?

Tinat1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultNausea or Bloat?

My big black lab is very deep chested and the vet seems to think he may be bloating. About once every two weeks he is very sick, slobbering badly and licking his front feet. He tries to eat grass but doesn't have much luck. He is so wet with slober when he finally get better. I started giving him gas-x everytime he acts like this and now I water their dry food before letting them eat. Is this something weird?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nausea or Bloat?

Have you talked to your Vet about this? I would let him or her know what's been going on. What kind of kibble do you feed? Sometimes by adding water it will make the kibble swell up more and that can cause problems too.

I'm not a bloat expert but I don't think it would just go away on it's own. Maybe if he's just getting gasy but not actually fully bloating??? I actually think the water in the food would help it should make the kibble expand before they eat so it doesn't in their stomach it will also help so they don't eat as fast which can cause bloat by getting alot of air in their stomach. I would be concerned though if it's happening that often. Sorry I'm not much help but I would definatly have the vet check him out throughtly though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes, the vet told me to soak their food before feeding them and also feed twice daily instead of once. I feed them pedigree dry.
    I just don't understand the slobbering and licking when he is that sick.
    The web page under dog bloat is very helpful, but I don't think this is his problem. It happens too often.
    Sure hope someone can help. He has been to the vet three times this year. Other problems he is facing is anal gland probems.

Feeding twice a day is definatly good that way they have less to digest at one time. If it helps but doesn't solve the problem maybe even try to go to three feedings or a small feeding before bed to break it up a little more. The drooling and licking their lips is a sign of nausea. I would say that's what it is if he was bloating it would be much worse from what I've heard.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Our Chessie gets these episodic bouts of ...something. He starts licking everything, crying, in obvious distress. He made countless emergency trips to the vets. When he was younger he would EAT everything...he tried the curtains once. He's been to three vets and nobody has figured out the problem. He's now ten and he's had it since about 10mos. One vet thought it was seizures and put him on phenobarbitol.

We've learned that a double dose of Zantac helps. He's actually on a preventive dose of once a day. If it isn't winter, he'll fill himself up with grass, vomit and then do it again. If he's had the Zantac it'll usually be over in about 1.5 hours. Yesterday he had a 3 hour event. He once had a 7 hour event (nighttime of course!). I hope your not dealing with something similar because this is frustrating.

Wow...Chessie sounds just like littleBritches. He was sick for over 5 hours last week. Do you live on a farm? My labs run free and probably eat Horse manure when I'm not looking. Most of the time he gets sick when he wakes up and comes out of his bedroom. I might try the zantac. How much do you give and how often? The pepto bismo did pretty good but was sure hard to get it down him. Also, does Chessie lick herself slobbering everywhere when he is sick?
    This is soooo frustrating.

Have you tried a different food? Pedigree is not the greatest food out, full of grains. Try and find something that has more meat in it. Dogs are not really made to process a lot of grains.

When you say licking his front feet, where is he licking, the tops or the bottoms?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would definitely get him on a better food and start feeding him twice, maybe even three times daily. (same amount as usual, just spread out. ) Does he eat very quickly? If so I would work on getting him to slow down, by feeding him on a baking sheet or putting a large nylabone in his bowl that he has to eat around.

Good luck.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

He is licking the top of his feet as if to do something with all the slobber he has and not being able to swallow it all.
    I thought pedegree was a good food? What do you all recommend?
    Also, yes he eats like there is no tommorrow and I will try putting his food on a flat plate. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast