Declaw grew back....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Declaw grew back....

JustineNYC Guest

DefaultDeclaw grew back....

I wasnt even aware some breeders yanked these things out because my first Lab has his. Anyway, I had Molly a few weeks before I noticed one of them apparently grew back, but when it did, it didnt grow back normally.

Its coming back in sideways.

When I took her to the vet I mentioned it and he said he didnt think there would be any problems (because I mentioned it looks like its coming in backwards) but he said when she is spayed next month he could remove it if I wanted.

Should I have it removed or just leave it? And if I had it removed what kind of thing is that, healing wise for an older dog to deal with? How fast does something like that heal?

My friend told me she had hers removed on an older dog when he was neutered and everytime he walked on it the thing would bleed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Declaw grew back....

I hate to say this, but if it is really growing sideways like it looks like in the photograph you posted, I would be tempted to have it removed while she's already anesthetized for her spay. It really looks like it would catch on things and tear...and I don't take this lightly, as both of my dogs have their dewclaws and they use them all of the time for holding onto things they're playing with or chewing, as well as for gripping the ground when sliding down hills and whatnot.

Does your vet feel like it needs to be removed?

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I agree with Julie. I'm not a fan of removing dew claws in the first place, but since that one is jutting out at a funny angle I would be worried about future injuries. Since your dog is going to be anesthetized anyway I would certainly have the dew claw removed at the same time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Based on the way that looks, I would have it removed.

I think part of the problem is that the nail isn't "yanked out", but rather the toe (think of it similar to your thumb) is cut off at the joint. I would imagine if the breeder just yanked out the nail, it would grow back. If you remove the toe at the joint properly, there is nothing to grow back.

labby is offline Senior Member

Have to agree with the others. Based on the picture and your description, I'd have it done. Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated than when it's done as puppies. I don't remove dews anymore. I did for years. Then one of the pups developed an infection which spread to the bone and the growth plate causing the foot to grow weird. Never again.

My dogs work in the field and regularly run through brush. I've never had one get caught up and rip. One of mine is training for a Senior Hunter and has never ripped one. My dogs' dewclaws are tight to the leg and I trim my dogs' nails weekly to keep their nails short.

Laura

One of Jobas dew claws was not removed completely, and is also partially growing back. When I took him for his 12 wk. shots, the vet looked at it and said it was nothing to worry about, and it was not worth the risk of anesthesia to remove it. But as long as your having her spayed, that isn't an issue. He also told me, it isn't that uncommon for that to happen, and he himself has not gotten them totally.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    I hate to say this, but if it is really growing sideways like it looks like in the photograph you posted, I would be tempted to have it removed while she's already anesthetized for her spay. It really looks like it would catch on things and tear...and I don't take this lightly, as both of my dogs have their dewclaws and they use them all of the time for holding onto things they're playing with or chewing, as well as for gripping the ground when sliding down hills and whatnot.

Does your vet feel like it needs to be removed?
    No. Thats why I posted this.

What you said is exactly what I think....its not growing back normally, its actually coming out and I was afriad of it getting stuck on things or posing a problem in some way. Especially that the vet just clipped so its not even as long as its going to be. And whos going to have to clip that nail? Me? I wouldnt even know how.

Im afraid if I leave it, and something does happen, the vet will say what someone else did....its not worth putting her under anesthesia for.....thats why I think I should have it removed being that shell already be out.

He did say sometimes breeders dont do it right and they leave something there and it grows back. But he said he didnt think it would pose a problem, but if I wanted to have it removed it would be no problem to do with when she is spayed.

Honestly if it was growing back a normal claw this would be a none issue.

One on my cats that mom had declawed has extra toes, (2 thumbs on both feet) and her thumb nail grew back and it grew back like this too. Molly has her other thumb toe though....it just doesnt have a nail in it. So would the vet yank the nail, or remove the entire toe?

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Based on the way that looks, I would have it removed.

I think part of the problem is that the nail isn't "yanked out", but rather the toe (think of it similar to your thumb) is cut off at the joint. I would imagine if the breeder just yanked out the nail, it would grow back. If you remove the toe at the joint properly, there is nothing to grow back.

Nevermind....I just looked at her other foot and your right there is no toe there. I mean I can see and feel where it was, but it was removed at the joint. I dont know what happened with this one.....but Im going to end up just having him remove it.

Maybe the doctor (whom I absolutely adore) doesnt have experience in owning Labs......Molly is wild and I can just see that nail becoming a problem. Personally if I was the vet I wouldve said, based on the way its grown back it may be a good idea to remove it, but I guess he kinda just left it up to me.

Anyone have any idea how long hes going to have me keep her from playing and running around and stuff.

I don't like the way that looks either. Mocha's due claws were removed as a pup but they are all the way gone and there is a bare spot there. Zeus has his but they are close to his foot so they don't get stuck on anything and I use the dremmel to keep them short like the rest of the nails.
    Our Yorkie has all 4 due claws and they are a pain they are hard to trim because of the way they move around (they are almost loose not close to the foot like Zeus's) and he has got them caught on things and ripped the nail off before. The groomers always miss trimming them too so they get really long and curl.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    I don't like the way that looks either. Mocha's due claws were removed as a pup but they are all the way gone and there is a bare spot there. Zeus has his but they are close to his foot so they don't get stuck on anything and I use the dremmel to keep them short like the rest of the nails.
    Our Yorkie has all 4 due claws and they are a pain they are hard to trim because of the way they move around (they are almost loose not close to the foot like Zeus's) and he has got them caught on things and ripped the nail off before. The groomers always miss trimming them too so they get really long and curl.

Dales are close to his leg too...

heres another look at it

Looks like shes hitch hiking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast