The millionth ear infection post

Thread: The millionth ear infection post

DefaultThe millionth ear infection post

So, Polly has a little yeastiness going on in her left ear. The vet gave me solution to clean with and some medication. The issue is the fact that Polly and I live alone, and she isn't really taking kindly to me squirting anything in her ear. Since I have no one else to hold her head, I had to give up on this morning's cleaning. Any suggestions on how to get her to sit still? Thanks!

(Oh! I remembered that the solution should be room temperature, but that didn't seem to help.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaisdad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The millionth ear infection post

What are you feeding? Does it have any grain? My Kai had frequent ear infections. I switched him to a diet with no grain (Innova Evo) and there have been no further infections. Perhaps a similar course of action would help.

Nellie had ear issues about 3 years ago caused by a change in formula to the food I was feeding her. Once I changed her food the ears cleared up and she has not had a problem since.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think I'll have to change her food, but for now I need to clean her ears. How do I get her to hold still?

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Straddle her like you are riding a horse, squeezing her shoulders with your legs. Grab her ear flap and squirt quickly.

When Mocha had her first ear infection I fought with her the first week tooth and nail to let me clean her ears. Like you I lived alone and she was 65lbs and did not want me to clean them. I finally learned to stop fighting her and make it more positive for her. You can try warming the solution slightly like a baby bottle even at room temp it can feel cold in their ear canal. Then I just got a bunch on yummy treats and sat on the floor with her. The first few times it took a while but it has to be done or the infection will only come back. I sat on the floor and just stayed calm and talked quietly with her. I gave her a few small treats praising her and getting her comfortable and got her to sit down. Then I got the bottle and cotton balls out of course she ran away but I stayed calm and again used the treats to get her to sit down close to me. I just took it one step at a time put the solution in and then gave her treats constantly while massaging the ear with the solution in it. Then I gave her a larger crunchy treat while cleaning it out with the cotton ball so it kept her occupied some. Giving her lots of praise while doing it for being calm. It took a few days of doing this then it started getting much easier. Now when I go get the cleaner or ask if she wants her ears cleaned she gets all excited and dances around. She still doesn't like me putting the stuff in her ears but she loves her cookies so she sits still and let me do it with no problem. I still use a few crunchy cookies while doing it but not as many as before.