Anal glands/Food....Again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anal glands/Food....Again

DefaultAnal glands/Food....Again

So awhile back I switched both of my boys to Blue Buffalo....Since around that time they have both started having anal gland issues (as from a previous post)....We took them both to the vet and had them expressed about two weeks ago and have since had to do it at home ourselves.

The vet swears that this is NOT a food issue, but for some reason my intuition is telling me otherwise. Has anyone else had these problems with this food or....with a paticular brand they had used and it went away when the food was switched?

Again....I'm looking at switching their food. I am very very fond of the food they are on now but I need to find out for myself if that is what is causing a stinky house! I've heard good things about Innova, thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anal glands/Food....Again

I have to disagree with your vet. I put my dogs on ProPlan Selects Turkey dog food and my yellow girl had such bad anal gland problems that we had to have her glands expelled weekly. I changed her food and she hasn't had to have her glands expressed since, and that was almost two years ago. I would be looking for a new food, if I were you.

I posted this question previously and was not answered, maybe Labsrme,Barbian or anybody else can answer this:
    Ours is 14 months old and I've never had her glands cleaned... am I missing something? How can you tell when they need to be expressed? or do you just have it done regularly?
    She is kept inside the house...

She is on Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice for LB, I was about to switch her to ProPlan, now I am having doubts on switching and maybe having problems.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I have owned dogs that have never needed their anal glands expressed, even once. It just depends on the dog. If your dog is scooting or chewing on the anal gland area they may need to be expressed. If your dog is not scooting or chewing then I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't worry about trying ProPlan food, I think there was just something in it that didn't agree with my particular dog. Food is lots of trial and error. I have fed other ProPlan foods that didn't cause this dog any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by FLHunter3006
    I posted this question previously and was not answered, maybe Labsrme,Barbian or anybody else can answer this:
    Ours is 14 months old and I've never had her glands cleaned... am I missing something? How can you tell when they need to be expressed? or do you just have it done regularly?
    She is kept inside the house...

She is on Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice for LB, I was about to switch her to ProPlan, now I am having doubts on switching and maybe having problems.....

She will obviously have problems and you will know. Ours lick and chew, no scooting and the smell is horrible! Sometimes they even release a little yellow-ish liquid.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Ugh, I know the smell we just went last week. Our vet said it was definatly the food. Well Bogey was on puppy food, we were told to switch to adult. But he said that firmer poops should help with the anal glands. Sorry not much else I can offer.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Simon was having anal gland issues on Canidae, I think it was. We switched him to Fromms Salmon & Veg and it seemed to improve. After that we went to Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue and still no anal gland issues.

My dog food lady contends that a fish diet is good for anal gland issues. She also recommends feeding dried fruit for increased fiber (not raisins of course)

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Okay cool....Can I give them fiber capsules? I feed them an additional cup a day of apples or carrots. I also grabbed a bag of Eukenuba Labrador Retriever. Has anyone heard anything good/bad about that? I figured it would keep Ty's weight down for his hips and give them the appropriate glucosamine and chrondroitin they needed....

georgie is offline Senior Member

I guess I have been lucky with this. I have never had anal gland problems with my girls. We have them on ProPlan C&R & it just must agree with them. They have firm poops & shiny coats & no ear problems so I'm sticking with it.

When Molly was younger I tried switching to Wellness, midway throuh the switch she started having loose stools. I think the food was too rich for her. So I've kept what works.

I used to have to get Oona's anal glands expressed every three weeks. This went on for a couple of years. I read a post by Bob Pr. that he didn't give his dog Puff special treats, rather just her dog food. I thought that was a good idea and stopped giving Oona dog biscuts. As soon as I did this the problem with the anal glands stopped. I didn't have a problem for about two years and then last year at the dog park I got lax and let people give her treats. BOOM! We had to go back to get the glands expressed. Now I don't let anyone give her treats at the park. If they want to give her something I give them a handful of her dog food.
    My vet said I was crazy too but it was the only thing that was different.
    Olie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast