food/allergies?

Thread: food/allergies?

Defaultfood/allergies?

I see there are a lot of food threads right now, so I don't know how much more can be said. My dogs are both eating Canidae, all stages, and have seemed just groovy on it. Ears haven't been bad for quite a while and their poops are good, coat is beautiful. no unusual amount of shedding.

However, Bo gets some kind of "zits" on his belly, which sometimes go on to get infected (which they are right now). Meanwhile the vets we've loved for the past year have left- one retired the other moved. So new vet, and he suggests Bo may have food allergy causing the skin problem.

I am skeptical to say the least. Went through a bunch of elimination/food stuff with a prior dog, to no particular benefit. He was better off with antihistamines seasonally (why not, the rest of the family does).

I read a thread on here which says food allergies account for only about 5% of allergy problems.

Anyone have input on this issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: food/allergies?

Bob Pr. has a Lab that was getting things similar to what you describe. He found that if he toweled her belly dry after playing in the grass, it helped. It sounds like your pups are doing well on their food, so I would not go changing that right now.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Copy of a previous post:

My Puff used to get red zits over her belly and I didn't realize that they morphed into brownish splotches on her pink skin that at first I mistook for smears of dirt. (Many were close to where her privates would be if she had any)

We "vet doctor" at K-State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl. Our excellent vet there, a diplomate (highest level) in internal medicine, prescribed antibiotics the first time and the next 2X recurrences shortly after. Each time, she took & lab tested some scrapings and said it was a staph infection.

Puff's 4th time in about 5 months, I asked to see a dermatologist. She tested and concurred it was staph and thought it was caused by Puff's running in the nature preserve early each morning, getting dew on her belly, and that picking up pollen, dust, etc., which was causing the irritation and staph.

She Rx'ed a 4th round of antibiotics but, after that, had me use a medicated shampoo (benzoyl peroxide) on Puff's belly after each exposure followed by 3X/week as needed.

That really helped and we've had no problem the last 4 years. Also, I began taking Puff swimming after her early morning walks (which flushes off pollen and detritus) and thoroughly drying her (which also helps and which she likes better than the swimming -- she calls me her "Sweetish Masseur" )

Don't know if it's the same but could be ??

FWIW, the benzoyl peroxide shampoo was applied, allowed to stay for 10 minutes, and then flushed off and the area thoroughly dried. But I found the swimming immediately after the walk through the preserve (with the drying) helped prevent recurrences.

There are some non-prescription medicated shampoos -- probably not as strong or quite as effective as the Rx ones but they might be worth a try. I'll Google where I've seen them and ETA the link.

__________________________________________________ _______

ETA -- you might try searching Amazon for this -- only $7 a bottle.

DermaPet DermaBenSs Benzoyl Peroxide Plus Shampoo for Pets (8-oz bottle)

It's often used for pet acne.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, I think I did post about this a few weeks ago, but was surprised when the new vet suggested food allergy. I have some benzoyl peroxide shampoo I got at entirelypets.com (which sent it in 1 day, since they're apparently close by). I'm going to treat the skin thing for now and not change the food.

Mocha also had a staph infection on her belly a few years ago. I wouldn't change the food if it's just her belly and everything else is good on the current food. I would find a different vet or ask this one about staph though. We used a medicated shampoo and it cleared Mocha's right up it was something from the vet though.

MickeysMom is offline Senior Member

Mickey's got documented food allergies, but when he has gotten something that he's got a problem with, it isn't just his skin that gets affected. In fact, his skin is usually not the first thing I notice, it's his eyes watering, nose running and ears getting gunky that lets me know he's got trouble starting. He has some contact allergies as well, so when I see a rash or hot spots starting without the other symptoms, I start back tracking to what he's walked through.

WooT!<br /><br /><br />He made it too! <br />