Puppy Acne(10 mths)

Thread: Puppy Acne(10 mths)

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy Acne(10 mths)

Looking for experienced people that have been through puppy acne. I had already taken Harlee to the vet for this and she suggested OXY pads and polysporin, she said if it didnt get any better to bring her back and get some antibiotics.

Well its been close to a month and it seems to start to clear up and then comes back again, just as bad as it was. I use Stainless Steel bowls that are cleaned often, she does not chew on anything plastic. The only plastic thing is her crate, but there is a blanket in the bottom of crate. Her bedding is washed weekly....I am at a loss of how to clear up her chin. I hate the thoughts of having to give her more antibitocs as she has been on them for UTIS and staph infection....I would to find something I could do without pumping her full of drugs...

Anyone have any other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Puppy Acne(10 mths)

Sorry I don't have much to offer, but I hate it when I see a post with no response. my pup had what I think is puppy acne, and he took antibiotics which cleared it up. So far. He's about 6-1/2 months. I'm keeping a closer eye on it now, keeping his chin dry, cleaning the bowls more, etc. It would be nice if someone with more experience gave you (us) some advice.

Unless it's a really severe case of acne, I personally wouldn't do anything. They will eventually outgrow it at about 2 years. Also, it seems that she has a bit of a weakened immune system if she gets infections so easily. I would recommend not doing yearly vaccines, but do a at least a 3-year protocol. Yearly vaccines are unnecessary. If you vet will not do at least a 3-year program, find another vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Are they opening up and causing sores? Mocha had acne but hers never opened up they were just red bumps. Changing to stainless steel bowls got rid of hers.
    Other things I was told to do was to wash her muzzle with a warm wash cloth after she got done eatting or drinking and try to keep the area dry other than that.
    Can you try getting her on some probiotics they should help regulate the good bacteria some since she's been on antibiotics so much. Also maybe see if you can find some thing to help strengthen her immune system it seems like that's part of the problem if she's getting other infections so easily.
    Good luck.

I would also suggest wiping her chin after eating and drinking. I, like you, would want to avoid more antibiotics. I like the suggestion of probiotics...Good luck!

I had made another appt at the vet on Monday and I think I am going to wait a little longer. They do open up into sores and about every other week they start to dry up and then come back and open up again. It is quite bad but I will continue and try warm compresses. I agree it seems that her immune system is weak (not sure what this is caused by) does anyone have a recomendation for a probiotics (dont have any experience with them)

Thanks everyone

Does anyone know if this will help with her smell (probiotics)....I think its more her feet than her but her feet have a very strong smell.

Check out this thread there is some info on what others use for their dogs.
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,58785.0.html