Rescued Lab Puppies 3 Weeks Old - Important Food Question!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescued Lab Puppies 3 Weeks Old - Important Food Question!

DefaultRescued Lab Puppies 3 Weeks Old - Important Food Question!

Hello All!

My husband and I took in 2 lab puppies yesterday from a random man who was "giving them away" because he claimed their mother wasn't procuding milk anymore, and he couldn't afford to feed them. We believe they are about 3-4 weeks old. We have been feeding them only puppy formula (Just Born brand), but I think they were previously getting fed a mixture of puppy formula and crushed puppy food. (because they don't seem to like the bottle too much anymore, and because their waste is a bit darker than if they were just eating formula).

They only eat a little tiny bit of formula a time.. a few licks... maybe a few teaspoons, if that. .. and I'm worried they're not getting enought to eat. They seem full, but I'm not sure. I do make sure they have burped and such, and they seem sleepy when they are done eating. They also have been peeing quite a lot. They appear healthy and plump.

They also have really loose waste, more so than I think is normal for a puppy. It could be from the transition and stress of it all.. or from the food their previous owner was giving them. I'm not sure.

I've honestly never had a puppy this young before, so I am a bit confused. I really want to make sure are healthy and happy. *=) Should I change their food? Perhaps some crushed puppy food, in addition to the formula? Maybe give them water? I was told by a breeder that if they were drinking formula only, then they wouldn't really need water.

Thanks in advance! I am a bit stressed, as I really want to make sure I am doing everything right!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rescued Lab Puppies 3 Weeks Old - Important Food Question!

Are they eliminating by themselves or do you have to stimulate them still? They need to be wormed at this point as well. If they were already eating some kind of kibble (you should use small breed puppy formula--has higher fat levels), I would recommend putting it in a blender and making it into a powder and adding water back until it makes a looser mush...they can lap it up...4 or 5 times a day. I don't know if I would continue with straight formula...there is a reciepe for suplementing formula that has karo syrup and some other stuff in it that will help them gain weight pretty steadily. They are going to miss out on so much not being with their litter...poor babies. I am glad you're helping, but still. They don't need to be burped, they are not human babies. A good
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

They are doing #1 and #2 on their own, off and on. Sometimes they still need help. Last night they did both on their own, during the night. Like I said, they are both plump... quite round and fat...especially the boy. (there is one boy and one girl). They seem quite healthy... except for the fact that they need to be treated for fleas. I have never taken care of a young puppy before, so I wasn't sure if they were getting enough to eat. The directions on the formula say that their portions are in teaspoons, so perhaps they are getting enough... I really don't know. Considering I don't know their exact age... or weight... I need to get a postal scale or something.

Either way, they don't seem fond of the bottle. I have a medicine dropper thing, but that's also a tricky task. I let them lap it out of a small bowl, and they did okay, but again, the portions were soo small, and they get it on their paws and on their faces... I wonder how much they actually ate! They usually stop before it's done.

I was told by a breeder that it's good to burp them by holding them and gently massaging their backs. It works! They burp everytime after eating!

I know, it's so sad that they aren't with their litter, and their mom. They are pretty young still. If we knew where their mom was, we'd definitely ask that they be put back with her. I am doing my very best to make sure they are well taken care of. At least there are two of them... they cuddle up to eachother for warmth. It's adorable. They are so precious. They are going to be beautiful dogs!

I am SO NEW at this, so anyone with good advice, feel free to chime in! (I have read the basics online, but any other infomation would be so helpful)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Good for you guys for rescuing them! Can you show us a picture of them?

I have no advice, but we have several very experienced breeders here that should be able to help you out.
    Bumping for them to see.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

aww. Thanks for doing this...and I really want to see the pictures of these babies!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Have you taken them to the vet? If not I would do that, and quickly.

I agree that they need to be wormed ASAP, as those plump bellies may only be that way because they're full of worms. :-X

Good luck! Make sure you keep us updated!!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I will definitely post some photos soon! (my camera is charging!). They have already stolen my heart. I had no idea how much work is involved in taking care of such young puppies. It's a constant thing... but they are so worth it.

They are actually just plump all around.. not just their bellies. In fact, their bellies really aren't that large in comparison to the rest of their body. I caught the veterinarian today as he was leaving and asked him about their fleas... since I can't give them anything until they are 6-7 weeks old. He recommended flea combing and a bath with mild soap.. like baby soap. I will likely take them to the vet this weekend.

I have been wanting dogs for so long, and these guys just kinda fell into my lap. My husband was adament on getting the puppies away from that guy... he was creepy.

It's weird.. in the last year, we've found 2 kittens (in the same week!), and now these two pups. We found great homes for both kittens, but I am not sure I'll be able to part with these puppies.

Thanks for the input! If anyone else has advice, it is mucho appreciated!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I'm with others, a vet visit is needed tomorrow-they probably have had no puppy care at all!! These pups have had a bad start and are very lucky you have taken them in, lots of pictures please!

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

I used to work for a vet and he always said about orphans "get them on puppy food as soon as possible!" He would recommend mixing crushed puppy food with formula. If they could lap...all the better. They usually got as much on them as in them but they did well. He would gradually cut off the formula then mix it with just water until he could wean them off softening it. And he'd start this as soon as their eyes were open. And a vet visit for worming!

Hope this helps.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Try the Royal Canin baby 30 formula--- weaning formula if you can find it. Put a bit of the warmed formula over it to mush it at first. They need solid food by now. Will need to be wormed as well, so yes, still go to the vet.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast