do you add to your lab's kibble ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: do you add to your lab's kibble ?

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Default do you add to your lab's kibble ?

Do you add anything to your lab's kibble at meals?
    ie canned, cooked meat, veg, etc?

Also, which of the new grain free diets are the most balanced to avoid problems. I heard that one of them can cause some troubles ?? I think the one to get was the wellness???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: do you add to your lab's kibble ?

I don't add anything to walter's kibble, however, my fiancee adds baccon grease sometimes. I don't know why, when I asked he said it was good for the coat. I don't know if thats true or not, but hes the man

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sometimes green beans, and just today she got some sardines! Most days just her kibbles, she does get a cranberry tablet and fish oil with her morning kibbles! She is a pretty happy pooch!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

I give Caleb a raw egg on Saturdays and a can of sardines mid week. It's more for a treat than supplementing, really. He loves Egg and Fish Days.

Casey had leftover prime rib with a little kibble tonight. No complaints from her!
    Yes she is spoiled sometimes.
    Most of the time she just gets kibble.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlady_ody
    I don't add anything to walter's kibble, however, my fiancee adds baccon grease sometimes. I don't know why, when I asked he said it was good for the coat. I don't know if thats true or not, but hes the man
    No, it's not good for them...but it's your dog.

We don't add anything either. The only supplements that the boys get are cosequin ds for joint health. Their kibble is high quality. Rider's on EVO and Rookie on Innova LBA.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I feed Puff 1 cup 2X/day of Kirkland C&R (made by Schell & Kampeter, makers of "Diamond Naturals" and very similar to it), 362 kcals/cup

Every morning she also gets a small handful (maybe 2.5 TBSPs) of Craisins (sweetened cranberries) and one dried apricot.

Each evening, her 1 cup of K C&R is added to a bowl with a slice of salmon (about the size of 1/2 strip of sliced bacon) cooked with water in her bowl, and also 1/3 cup of cooked (frozen) green beans. She also gets one Kirkland G&C tab and one Kirkland Fish Oil cap, each with a dab of Peanut Butter, as appetizers just before the main entree.

"Diamond Naturals" Ingredients
    Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

goodguy is offline Senior Member

sami likes a little water in her bowl with the dry food..

I have been adding pumpkin to Jonah's to firm up his stools. I also sprinkle some digestive enzymes and probiotics on occasionally as well.

As for which grain free, you just need to go with what works for your dog. Some people have had trouble with some, while others have done great on the same one. How old is your dog? Orijen is the only one (at least that I know of) that has a puppy version, so that is what Jonah is on. Some dogs have done great on it, others not so much, but the same is true of Wellness (Jonah didn't do the grain free Wellness, but we tried the Super Puppy they had and it didn't work for him).

I'd just look at what you can readily find, compare nutrients and ingredients. Again, if your is under 1 you'll need to take that into consideration to be sure you are getting the proper calcuim and stuff (too much is actually bad for them). You can also see here for some info:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grain_free

labby is offline Senior Member

Nope. Don't add anything but water to the majority of the dogs. One gets pain and thyroid meds but that's all.

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast