New Pup Home- Help w/ possible bladder issue

Thread: New Pup Home- Help w/ possible bladder issue

DefaultNew Pup Home- Help w/ possible bladder issue

I just got Tiegan, new baby, home last night after a super long day of air travel. Worried about her urinating behavior and possibly her bowl attempts.
    We stayed the first night in a motel, she did great- no accidents. Every time I took her out she either peed or pooped. Then she relieved herself one last time about an hour before our first connection. But she had no place to go after that, we were in the Denver airport for 4 hours and then a 3.5 hour flight.
    She was in my lap the whole trip and no accidents and just when I was picked up and trying to get to a spot to pull over after leaving the airport she let go on my lap, no worries, more glad she went.
    She slept w/ me in the bed all night, no problems. But just as I was getting dressed to take her out she urinated on the bed. I rushed and got her outside.
    Fed and watered her after this and was going to wait 15 min. to take her out again, but she started to urinate on the floor. I picked her up and rushed outside again.
    This would not concern me too much except that she wants to squat every 10 minutes now for the last 2 hours. She lets out just a little each time, each time I try and catch her and rush her out. She squats outside 4 to 5 times to urinate everytime now. She whimpers each time. It also appears she is trying to poop but does not.
    She is lying in my lap as I type this slightly whimpering every minute or so for about 5-20 seconds.
    I am worried she might have had to hold too long yesterday and now has some physical issue.
    She was in great spirits considering leaving her littermates from yesterday- so that does not seem the reason for her discomfort/whimpering.

Help please!

Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New Pup Home- Help w/ possible bladder issue

First, don't let her sleep in your bed. Crate her at night. She'll tell you when she needs to go. Second...is she drinking alot? She could have an inverted vulva or an UTI. Take her to the vet to make sure. But holding wouldn't really affect her...they tend to have to go more when they are up and active and moving around as well.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

georgie is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on your new puppy. I would have the vet check her urine for a UTI. Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Glad you made it home safe and sound with her. I'm sure you probably have a vet checkup scheduled anyway, don't you? If not, I'd take her in. Normally I'd say just catch some urine and take that in, but if your vet hasn't seen her, you might as well get the full puppy once over anyway.

I think I'd get a urine sample to the vet as well mainly because of the repeated squating and whining.

Hi all,
    Yep- UTI issue. Antibiotics administered and she is feeling better.... no whining now.... yeeehaawwwwww!

Cheers for the help everyone....

Doug

Hey Doug!

Welcome home, Tiegan!

Glad you got her all sorted out. Pics??!!

Hi Felica,
    Pics are coming. I got some video too.... just have to find time to figure out to transfer the video and edit it.... she is amazing.....