Food suggestions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food suggestions

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultFood suggestions

Yes another food thread. I thought I found the perfect food for Bogey but were having tummy troubles again. Currently hes on a bland diet were working food back in slowly.His regular food is proplan C&R LBP.His ears have been good coat has been ok( I give extra suppliments as well) still gets the itches from time to time, but I just chalk it up to winter dry air at the moment.

A friend of mine recomended California natural. I like the idea of not alot of ingredients and from what Ive read its a pretty good food. My concern is they dont make a LBP that I can find. Should that be a huge concern? Hes 9 months now, and I planed on switching to adult food around 12months when we neuter, but I also hate to switch him around like this. Any thoughts welcome.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Food suggestions

My dog was off puppy food at 5 months of age. He's 7 and he's fine.

The California Natural Lamb and Rice is not suitable for puppies, only for adults. According to its AAFCO statement:
    Animal feeding tests using AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) procedures substantiate that California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice Adult Dry Dog Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for maintenance.
    The Chicken and Rice is for all life stages, but at 21% it's at the low end of what's acceptable for puppies. Does your breeder have an opinion, or suggestion regarding the amount of protein that the pups do well on?

In terms of their "plain" puppy foods, they do have more protein and they do not have too much calcium, so their regular puppy foods would be okay. They would fit under the description most companies call "large breed."

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hm... have you checked into a whole-prey diet for your pup? theres no LBP formula needed in raw diet. Oscar has been on raw for the better part of a week and his coat is great, teeth are clean, and his "itches" have pretty much gone...

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

theres no LBP formula needed in raw diet. Oscar has been on raw for the better part of a week and his coat is great, teeth are clean, and his "itches" have pretty much gone...
    There is also no scientific canine nutritional study which shows the long term effect on joint health of feeding a raw diet to a puppy.

Since about 1 out of 3 Labs suffer severe joint problems in adulthood -- many as a result of diet and especially of Calcium -- anyone who feeds a Lab puppy something other than a diet formulated specifically for a Large Breed puppy is gambling and going on blind faith.

Dozens of scientific canine nutrition studies have been done which consistently make that conclusion. The following are brief summaries:

http://www.mediarelations.ksu.edu/WE...pies62403.html

http://www.petevents.com.au/news_articles/28.shtml

http://www.newmanveterinary.com/large.html
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Dani is offline Senior Member

I guess I am wondering how much you are feeding. Instead of point at the food, are you over feeding? That tears up stomachs too...and I agree with kiddsmom on the adult formula is fine now. But unless you know for sure it's the food, why would you switch and what DOES your breeder say?

And an agreement with Bob PR...there are lots of reasons to stay away from raw while they are pups too.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    I guess I am wondering how much you are feeding. Instead of point at the food, are you over feeding? That tears up stomachs too...and I agree with kiddsmom on the adult formula is fine now. But unless you know for sure it's the food, why would you switch and what DOES your breeder say?

And an agreement with Bob PR...there are lots of reasons to stay away from raw while they are pups too.
    No I didn't plan on doing raw. He gets 4 cups a day. I dont have the bag handy but I think its less than reccomended(for this food). No breeder involved. Besides the occasional marrow bone he gets a milkbone now and then, some cheese on OB class day and thats pretty much it. There isn't a whole lot, and instead of running him to the vet and getting a prescription everytime this happens I thought I would try the food.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Since I don't know the kcals, to me, that is a lot. Rookie gets 1.25 c twice a day and Rider gets 1 c twice a day. Feeding by the bag is not recommended anyways.

If he has ghiardia or coccidia or never really got rid of either of those two things no amount of changing food would cure stomach issues. It will just be a reoccurring thing. I'd rather rule out parasites than put a dog on the food roller coaster.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Since I don't know the kcals, to me, that is a lot. Rookie gets 1.25 c twice a day and Rider gets 1 c twice a day. Feeding by the bag is not recommended anyways.

If he has ghiardia or coccidia or never really got rid of either of those two things no amount of changing food would cure stomach issues. It will just be a reoccurring thing. I'd rather rule out parasites than put a dog on the food roller coaster.

Well he had colitis a while back(3months), he had Flagyl (sp). I already took a stool sample to the vet. It was the first thing I thought of to do.No parasites. No gardia ether. Hes been on a bland diet since Thursday, things have been good. So you would cut back on his intake before you tried a new food? Id just hate for this to become a normal thing for him I just want him to be better.

Walter had tummy trouble early on (couldn't keep anything down) also runny poops, we tried the vet recommended bland diet, he resopnded a little to the swich. I couldn't afford to keep him on the vet perscribed food so we swiched to science diet-sensitive stomach. Walter vomits less on the science diet, fed 1cup twice a day.

We also have the "itchy" problem, so bad the scratching is causing soars. After over a years worth of vet visits (and bills) they think he has allgeries to dustmites that are found in mold.

Good luck, hope you find something that works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast