Lola - the one kidney puppy...more troubles - any help?

Thread: Lola - the one kidney puppy...more troubles - any help?

DefaultLola - the one kidney puppy...more troubles - any help?

Some of you may remember my 6 month old yellow girl had to have a kidney removed when they found it was cystic and enlarged (huge) during her spaying...she recovered great and has been fine for 3 months until now...

Hopefully someone may have a similar experience...

About 2 1/2 weeks ago she started peeing multiple times across the yard and was barely making it out the door before going. I brought urine into the vet right away - she saw blood in the urine but no bacteria and we began to treat for a UTI.

Antibiotics didn't work so we moved on to bloodwork and an xray to insure the one kidney she has left is functioning. Everything came back perfect...so on to a Urine Culture...

About a day ago she began to noticeably pee blood - now it may just be that she has been doing it for a while and it recently snowed (easier to see) but it certainly is alarming - she is still eating and has energy though

Urine Culture came back this morning with no bacteria or infection so now we are checking her into the same animal hospital that did the kidney surgery for an ultrasound...we should here back today...

I know this is a long shot since she is a special case but I am hoping someone may know something since emotinalyl and economically this is really destroying us...this is our first dog and has been a grueling 7 months so far...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lola - the one kidney puppy...more troubles - any help?

I'm so sorry for all of your poor pup's troubles. I don't have any advice but I hope your dog has a quick and complete recovery.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Oh boy. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, I have no advice or ideas to offer.

Is there a university vet hospital near you? Sometimes they have reasonable prices and much higher tech equipment and technology.

Good thoughts for your girl.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

This is not going to help much but...
    Harlee peed blood once...scared the crap out of me. Brought her to the vet, they treated her for UTI and it never happened again.

I am devastated now...turns out she has a large tumor on her urethra in her bladder blocking her urine and causing blood...

they feel since it has grown in 3 months and where it is that it is most likely cancerous and want to remove it from her bladder...

this is a dog with one kidney already and is only 9 months old...the surgeon and my vet both agreed that if we go ahead with the surgery we are most likely going to have future issues since she has one kidney and will now have major bladder surgery and is not a year old yet...

seems like I am fighting an uphill battle...trouble is outside of peeing she is still a playful pup but she gets worse every day

I discussed euthanasia with my vet but it is so hard with a young girl like this

do non kill shelters take this sort of thing? - I would assume she is un-adoptable...anyone have any experience with that...we are putting her on an anti inflammatory to ease her...

I am sorry about all the problems. I hope you are able to have the surgery done and she can recovery fully.
    Hang in there ok your little girl deserves to be comfortable and live out what life she has at home.

sloigo is offline Senior Member

What I am about to post is NOT AIMED directly AT YOU but MORE, MY expierence as a foster parent in a similar situation. HOPEFULY to HELP you, with the decission that is the right one for your loved family member. OK! :-\
    Our first foster dog (cho lab) was guestimated to be about 10 years young when she was tied to a light pole at a shelter in Chicago with a bleeding tumor on her neck. The shelter took her in & a few of the workers were drawn to this SWEET grey faced older gal. She had obviously had been someones pet all those years. They took the tumor off & treated another medical need so she could get out of the shelter to "finish" what was left of her life. A retirement home, under the cloak of a foster. A rescue for senior dogs agreed to take her, as long as they could find a foster for her......so the pleas went out......That email came into my mail box twice, the second time I brought it up to my partner at supper. When she said she had read it, I new that we were in trouble! (She hates those sappy emails & usually deletes them) It just so happened that the following weekend was a holiday weekend & we both had vacation time scheduled also........it was all in the "cards" for us, we just hadn't been aware till then!
    Java joined our family & stayed with us living a HAPPY, healthy, life right up till the end. She is the one who helped me start learning about holistic treatments, she taught our dogs to be accepting & would eventally foster many more (continue to help the under dogs) Java gave us much more than we could ever have given her the 4-5 months we had her, through her golden retirement! She was very loved & passed with her FAMILY gathered around her in peace when she let us know it was time! I paid to have her creamated. I was so upset that someone could LEAVE a pet (you could tell, she was not just a dumped dog, she was a indoor dog) I could not bear the thought of her being left AGAIN. I know her spirit was at the rainbow bridge....but I just had to BRING her HOME, no matter what the expense.

I can understand not doing any more surgery. BUT to me, this is the dog I have had since a pup, like a child, you do what needs to be done, even if that means, holding them at the end in the favorite blankie. With Mia we used holistic treatments for the type of cancer she had to keep her comfortable. The food you feed can help or hurt with some illnesses. There is a wealth of info that might help make your dog more comfortable or not. PLEASE what ever you do, love your dog enough, to love them till the end. It's the right thing to do.
    Karen, Mom to the Lab Monkeys:
    Daisy DoBug YL 7 yr old
    Kiana YL 5/2006
    Piglet 4/2006 Lab @ Heart
    Liberty 7/2/2009
    **Bella Mia 5 yo (RIP~2/07)**
    *Molly Blu 2.5 yr old (RIP~7/06)*

LOLIN.ORG Saving one lab at a time.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Please please don't abandon her in her time of need, as much as it hurts, please stick it out till the end with her. :'(
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!