Nail cutting tips?

Thread: Nail cutting tips?

DefaultNail cutting tips?

Anyone have any tips on cutting the nails? I know there is a point where it will bleed...how do I know where that is?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nail cutting tips?

If you've never done it before ask the vet to show you how to. There is what they call the Quick which is what will bleed with a black dog it's hard to tell where it is since you can't see it with their black nails. It's best have someone that's experienced show you at first. I would start soon though and do a little each week so they get used to it and it's easier as they get older and bigger.

That being said I use a dremmel for Mocha and Zeus for us it works better and the dogs don't get as stressed. If you start early enough and make it a positive experience cutting them works just as well. I would try to start out just doing one or two nails and then praise and give some treats make a game out of it but always get your way and end it on a good note.

I use a dremel also.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    I use a dremel also.
    What size/kind of dremmel do you use? I bought a dremmel and when I tried to use it this weekend, I don't think it is strong enough. It was taking FOREVER to trim down the nail. I would have been there all day trying to do 3 dogs's nails.

georgie is offline Senior Member

It is tough with a black dog. I just cut the tips off every week. If you look at the underside of the nail sometimes you can see where it is just nail & no quick. I have cut too much & caused bleeding but that's why I always have styptic powder in the house. They sit pretty good now for nail trimmings but at first it took a nail clip followed by a treat, now I can do a whole paw before giving a treat.