New to site, new puppy, sick puppy

Thread: New to site, new puppy, sick puppy

DefaultNew to site, new puppy, sick puppy

Hi all, I just brought home a male chocolate lab. This is my first Lab, although I before had a St. Bernard, and my siblings have Labs. He came home as a 8 week old puppy, weighing in at 8lb, very skinny.

Regretfully, he arrived sick. First he had bloody diarrhea, took him to the vet, and he said he had Giardia. The vet sent him Metronidazol, he got better.
    A couple of days passed and he got very ill, he would vomit his whole kibbles after eating and also diarrhea once again. Took him to the vet once again they couldn't tell me what he had and just sent some immune boosters. He didn't get better and lost more weight now he weighed 5lbs. I decided to take him to another vet as he got worse, the new vet diagnosed after heavy blood work diagnosed Babesia and Haemobartonella(Mycoplasma), both tick transmitted, and since he came from a farm in Guayaquil this was likely.
    The vet injected Berenil (not approved in the US), but I liven in Ecuador. This is very strong and he could have gone into shock, but he pulled through. For the Mycoplasma she sent him doxycycline, and B vitamins to prevent liver damage. Initially he did well no more vomits his mood was more like a puppy.
    Now he just finished his doxycycline yesterday, but he has been vomiting lately after eating. He then eats the vomit again since it is mostly the same kibbles, I let him. After vomiting his mood is once again like a normal puppy, and his appetite is normal also. I just hope it is because the medicine was strong, but not enough time has passed to tell. He has a vet appointment tomorrow, I am very worried for Potito (that's his name). I'll keep you guys posted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: New to site, new puppy, sick puppy

Wow! You've been through a lot in a short time!

Does he eat his kibbles really fast? maybe it's too fast for his little tummy to handle. If that's the case try feeding him on a baking sheet, or put a nylabone or something in his bowl to try to slow him down.

Good luck with the little guy, and I applaud your diligence in getting him the help he needs.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

OMG that poor little guy!!! Have they checked for parvo? How much does he weigh now?
    Please keep us posted.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your advice.
    He was checked for Parvo but it was negative.
    I feed him ProPac Performance puppy, 200g a day, 3 meals, is this amount OK?

Yesterday I fed him his supper, little by little, tablespoons at a time.
    He did NOT vomit, and this morning the same. He has an appointment with the Vet this afternoon, let's hope he is cured and his kidneys and liver are ok.

I will keep you posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hope you're little guy is okay.

Potito is adorable!!

I would continue with feeding him so that he eats slower. Wolfing his food down isn't going to help him.

Let us know what the vet says and how he is doing.

Lana

Poor boy I hope he is on the road to recovery. I'm glad feeding his food slower seems to be helping.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sending good thoughts for your puppy.

Thank You everyone for your comments and positive thoughts.
    Yesterday I tool Potito to the Vet, she is very happy about his recovery. She says he is almost fully recovered and his kidneys and liver seem fine. He still has some phlegm on his lungs so she wants to give him one more week Doxycycline for one more week. He vomited yesterday and today, although he is still playful and pretty much normal if not for the vomiting.
    I'm hoping it is definitely the medicine that is making him vomit. I doubt it is a Megaesophagus, because he vomits and doesn't regurgitate.
    I'll keep you posted on his development.
    His current weight is 12lbs, he is 14 weeks old.

Hi everyone.

I just wanted to update all of you on how Potito is doing.

He had x-rays done on him, it seems it is taking him a long time to empty his stomach. We believe it may be Pyloric Stenosis. How ever I started milling his kibble (Pro Plan) and he hasn't vomited since. He has a very healthy appetite and has been putting weight, I can't see his ribs anymore.
    The vet said that we have to do surgery in order to solve the problem entirely, so I'm just waiting for him to grow a little more until we do the surgery. The vet said there will be no side effects after surgery and he will have a normal life.