Wellness or Orijen

Thread: Wellness or Orijen

DefaultWellness or Orijen

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of switching Casey's food and am currently trying Wellness chicken. Casey has NEVER been a picky eater but I realize that I have been ignorant about her food. Since embarking on this journey I am realizing that there are many choices including the raw diet. I am not sure that I want to go completely raw but I have been giving her some raw bones the last few days which she loves! After reading dog food analysis reviews I am very interested in the Orijen 6fish and the Wellness Ocean Core foods. Any comments on these? I am leaning towards the orijen 6fish but have noted that I would have to order it online and that it is backordered from demand? That in itself is a testimony. Thanks for your thoughts.

-Rebecca

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wellness or Orijen

While I have heard good things about Orijen, just because it's on back order doesn't MEAN it's the best food for your dog. Orijen distributes in the US out of Canada on a very limited basis. Yes, it gets snapped up fast, but it doesn't mean it's the BEST food out there or the BEST for your dog. I would actually prefer not to feed a food that I can't consistently purchase for my dog, and I also don't want to have to mail order food.

Thanks for your response Cynlabs. You made some good points and I really don't want to have order food either!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I have a dog on Wellness Simple Solutions Venison and Brown Rice. He is doing just fine on it.

I had Oscar on Wellness puppy food and he didn't do too well on it. Ive heard bad things from others as well.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I agree to not let the fact the food is flying off the shelf make you believe it's better Just think of how much the "bad' foods sell.

Also, what is "best' for one dog might be terrible for another. There is no "BEST" food for all dogs.

Lots of members have tried Orijen without success. Luckily Rock has done well and we've stayed on it for 6+mts now. But if getting it regularly is going to be an issue - it's probably not worth it.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillV341
    I had Oscar on Wellness puppy food and he didn't do too well on it. Ive heard bad things from others as well.
    Not to single you out Will, but for others' information: You really need more than just a few weeks on a food to see how a dog does with it. I've heard anywhere from one to three months to get the full effects of the current food and not just see the residual effects of switching foods.

I fed Jake Wellness at one point, I like the company, I like the ingredients, and I think they make a good product They have great customer service too, if you have any questions or concerns. So if Wellness is easier for you to get than Orijen, I'd go with the Wellness.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Tanya is offline Senior Member

very good point. the first few weeks/months on a food is "detox" (from one to the other). it takes 3+mts before you can make a decision on a food
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Lots of threads on dog food and and dog feeding on this board! Very interesting. Casey has been doing really well on the Wellness Chicken so I am going to transition her to Wellness Core food which has chicken and turkey in it but no grains. Orijen sounds like a great food but I would have to order it and that is not necessarily the best answer as also pointed out by others. I still have been feeding her a raw bone every other day which seems to be perfectly fine for her. I know that some raw feeders might feel that I should go all raw or stay strictly on kibble but it may not be the answer for Casey. Much of what I am trying and have been concerned about come from reading this forum and other info and realizing that grain is not the best choice for a canine! My girl is a healthy youthful 7 and I want to keep her that way for as long as possible.

I did not have luck with the Wellness Puppy. Jonah has done much better on Orijen Puppy. I have a local guy who orders it from his distributor for me and holds a bag in the back for me (to ensure someone else doesn't buy it and that I don't run out). If you have any stores that have grain free (mine is a Star Barks) they may carry it so you wouldn't have to order it online. Did you check Orijen's website for any stores that carry it in your area? But I agree, if you think you may have a hard time getting it, it probably isn't the best route to go. So give the Wellness a try and see if it works for your dog! Good luck!