Sugar to help heal a wound/sore?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar to help heal a wound/sore?

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultSugar to help heal a wound/sore?

Tundie, my foster, was neutered Tuesday (a week and a half ago almost). They also removed his dew claws (something about them being too big?? I don't know). He is a 2-3 Autralian Cattle Dog Mix.

The neuter is healing perfectly but I'm having problems with the stiches for the dew claws. He's managed to pull at them so it's not a clean closure. I know keep them bandaged so he cannot touch them (and to protect them when we go outside). (oh if you have recommendations on how to bandage that would also be nice).

Anyhoo, I asked the rescue person (one of the two who runs the rescue) what she thinks of these photos (to see if she wants to bring him to the vet or not).

http://tanyag.smugmug.com/photos/257293359_e8A4T-L.jpg
    http://tanyag.smugmug.com/photos/257..._x9JZx-L-0.jpg

her response was to try using sugar to see if it will help heal the sore:
    "Yes, the wounds doo look sore. Do you have any sugar?YOu can sugar them. Simply rub sugar on the sore andit naturally heals the open wound. It gets all dryand flaky looking but leave the sugar on there! Wecan try that for a few days and if things don'timprove, we'll get him to the vet next week!"

Really? I have never heard of this?
    thanks!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sugar to help heal a wound/sore?

I think I'd run him by the vet to make sure it hasn't opened up too much. I don't know about the sugar. It seems like you could be introducing lots of bacteria by putting something like that on it. I don't think I'd try it.

Those have really opened up... I think sugar is a bad idea. At this point I doubt the vet would even want to re-suture them

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I have heard of using sugar... it is along the same lines as honey (and specifically Manuka honey, if anyone wants to look it up). The idea behind using high sugar concentrations in a superficial wound is that it inhibits bacterial growth by dehydrating the area and the bacteria themselves, allowing the wound to granulate (no pun intended!) in with scar tissue.

I would be tempted to have the vet who did the surgery look these over to make sure there is nothing more to worry about.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Is seeing a different vet ok? I might swing him by my vet (who did not do the surgery). The rescue uses a good vet out in the country and I won't have time to go all the way out there this weekend to save $10 (heck, I'll make this a donation to the rescue).

Is it best to keep it wrapped up for now?

The rescue's ressources are very tight right now

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    I have heard of using sugar... it is along the same lines as honey (and specifically Manuka honey, if anyone wants to look it up). The idea behind using high sugar concentrations in a superficial wound is that it inhibits bacterial growth by dehydrating the area and the bacteria themselves, allowing the wound to granulate (no pun intended!) in with scar tissue.

I would be tempted to have the vet who did the surgery look these over to make sure there is nothing more to worry about.
    Interesting...like using salt without the burn?

Tanya, any vet will be able to decide what to do with it, so I would save yourself an extra trip. I know sometimes there's an issue of professional courtesy and they don't like to "walk on other's turf," but I've never had a vet not see Jes - I could just tell they weren't exactly comfortable.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Tanya, I've had sugar poured in/on a wound in my leg with great results.

A few years back I was at a hockey tournament and was playing soccer in the parking lot. I slipped, and scraped badly ankle, and the flesh above the ankle. I still had to play hockey, and by the time it was done, the wounds were really gaping, and because of where they were, they never got a good chance to rest and dry out. They were also really aggravated from the sweat and dirt and grime from my skate, and from the residue left from the asphalt.

My nana who was a nurse back in England, recommnended that I pack it with sugar. She came over, put about a tablespoon of it in each open sore, and I laid on the couch for 30 minutes to let it do it's work before I stood up and most of it fell out.

We packed it with sugar for 4 days, twice a day after that, and my wounds began to dry out and didn't look so ugly.

So, it works.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

I went to the vet, I was just too worried. Brought him to my vet just next door and we should be good to go (no need to go to the other vet).

The wounds are ok (no need to restitch) but one is infected. I have anti-biotics for that Otherwise all is perfect.

I have to say - CHEAPEST VET VISIT EVER! $40 (including meds)! I still can't believe it. I got super lucky, for the first time in my life I think they took pity on me

thanks for your advice. I'm happy to hear others knew about the sugar thing!

Wow. Not sure I've ever walked out of a vet's office with only $40 worth of damage. That's impressive.

brody is offline Senior Member

I have heard of sugar in wounds - there is a medical version too

and of course the vet took pity on you - you are helping a rescue soul... and your vet is a human

I'm delighted for you that you are able to support the rescue with a vet visit for your peace of mind - and glad he got antibiotics so quickly - hopefully it will heal up fast
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast