Roundworms!!! :(

Thread: Roundworms!!! :(

DefaultRoundworms!!! :(

Batman is about 2 months old and was given a routine de-wormer treatment at the vet yesterday. He went #2 several hours later and with it was easily 6-7 roundworms as much as 8" long, all not moving. I called the vet this morning and talked to the receptionist, she said they'll see him in a month and give him another treatment then, and again a month after that. Does that sound about right or should we do something else right away? From what I have read roundworms can infect humans, what are the odds that this could have happened to me or my wife (we have no kids)? There has been no time that we were in direct contact with Batman's feces or vomit, is that what it would take? Or is it likely that just handling him infected one of us?

This kinda stuff freaks me out! I hate bugs, I hate worms, I have a very weak stomach when it comes to feces in the first place, let alone feces with worms in it, and to think it could even get transferred to me makes me want to vomit. I'm even wondering if the fact that I ate a double quarter pounder, full box of fries and was still hungry for a 6 piece chicken McNuggets last night might mean I have worms since I usually only eat a regular quarter pounder meal and get full. I'm never going to be able to eat spaghetti again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Roundworms!!! :(

If you only wormed him yesterday and you saw worms today the treatment probably hasn't kicked in yet. Give it a bit longer. As for how often to worm, that depends on the wormer you are using. Once a month sounds like a lot. If you have the box the pills came in, check the doseage you are giving is correct. If you don't have the box they should have a website.

The vet did the wormer treatment, we don't have any medication for him. He has gone #2 three times now since the treatment, the first was full of worms, the second and third had no worms, possibly a part of one but not sure. From what I have read it sounds like the real problem is hidden: the eggs. It sounds like the adult worms don't really do much harm but the offspring can be so small that they can travel through the dogs body and cause serious damage depending on where they end up. If thats the case then I guess the important thing to do is make sure his poop gets cleaned up good so that no eggs can re-enter his body.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sometimes, they need another dosage 2-3 weeks after the first one and continually like that until no more signs of worms. Very common with little puppies.

labby is offline Senior Member

First off, take a deep breath. Dogs have worms. Dogs eat crap. Dogs are nasty animals sometimes.

How do you keep from getting the worms yourself? Wash your hands each and every time you touch the dog. Doesn't matter if you touch its head or its butt. Wash your hands.

Never touch your hands to your mouth without washing them first. Never rub your eyes without washing your hands first. Basic stuff our mothers all tried to teach us as kids.

Laura

In warm climates, worms get bad. It is standard practice in Australia to worm pups at 2, 4, 6, 8 and 12 weeks, and every three or four months thereafter. If I saw worms at 2 months I would let the breeder know I wasn't impressed . . . and go ahead and worm relatively frequently (2 to 4 weeks) to make sure the problem was gone. Yes . . . consult your vet about what wormer / how frequently. Btw, in my experience roundworms look like smallish mung bean sprouts without the head. I have never seen one as long as six inches. But maybe we use different names for different parasites over here.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

As a former vet tech this all sounds reasonable to me. Some wormers work quickly and kill and/or paralyze adult worms and they'll come out with the next feces. Often wormers only work on adults so another dose a month later would be reasonable to kill the next group that is maturing. I'm sure after that one your vet will recommend a fecal check to make sure you've got them all.

Also human roundworms and dog roundworms are different species. We can get them from dogs, and they can get them from us but it isn't easy. Routine hygiene is usually all that's necessary.