Kennel Cough

Thread: Kennel Cough

goodguy is offline Senior Member

DefaultKennel Cough

Oh are dorky little Sami seems to have kennel cough. Likely picked it up at the dog park last weekend... We rarely go and look what happens!!! We just noticed it today... Unless it's an emergency I can't take her to the vet until saturday. From what I have read, allot of times it goes away on it's own. She's 2 years old and very healthy otherwise so I'd like to hope it gets better on it's own. She only breaks out in the dry deep cough that sounds like she's trying to throw something up for a few second and is fine afterwards. She's only done it twice today. But she visibly does not like what is happening to her. I hear that ROBITUSIN DM? is the trick to ease her discomfort... I just don't know what dosage I should give her. She's about 55-60 pounds... THANKS!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kennel Cough

Look on the back of the bottle. They usually give dosage by weight. If not, then give a kid's dosage (approx. half of an adult).

Laura

I'm just going to take her in this afternoon and get this done right. I feel so bad she sounds so nasty!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

why? kennel cough is a cold. let it run it's course.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Because it's awful and I want to get something to releive her symptoms until it does run it's coarse... I'd rather not have her suffer.. Her cough has gotten really bad...

labby is offline Senior Member

First of all, there is nothing you can really do. Its like a cold. You cannot cure a cold. You basically wait it out. If it makes you feel better to go to the vet, then do that. I don't anymore since they want $150 so I feel better about kennel cough.

I lost a dog to secondary pneumonia from kennel cough, so I am more careful than most when it comes to kennel cough. Rest the dog, give it some cough syrup if the coughing gets bad and then pour yourself something to drink and relax.

Laura

Do what you need to do to make you feel better....but it's going to run it's course no matter what. It's not like you can give your dog halls and rub stuff on it's chest to break it up. It does suck...but they get over it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003

I know that there's no cure for it.. I've owned 5 dogs but this is my first bowt with Kennel Cough... So I'd like to go to the vet just to ease my mind. I just want them to give me something to releive her cough at least so she (I) can sleep... I wouldn't be able to sleep tonight and not just because of the noise... But because if I don't do everything in my power to make her confortable until this runs it's course, I won't be able to rest. I know we're not going to get rid of it with a magical potion, but I just was temporary relief. On a seperate note... She's had an ongoing food allergy that the vet and I have been working on to narrow it down and figure out exactlly what she's allergic to. The follow-up appt. was scheduled for a week from saturday, so I can actually kill 2 birds with one stone.

Enjoy your trip to the vet. One of my boys started hacking a little bit tonight, I guess I will just sit around with the robotussin and enjoy my boys.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie

Member Since 6/2003