UPDATE! Plastic vs. Metal Bowls
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE! Plastic vs. Metal Bowls

justine is offline Senior Member

DefaultUPDATE! Plastic vs. Metal Bowls

Hi everyone!!

I'm sure many of you have seen my recent posts about Abbey's unwillingness to eat.. she is definitely a picky eater.

Anyways, I haven't given in and she hasn't gotten any mix-ins with her kibble for 7 days tomorrow. On a fluke, we offered her the same food in a different bowl. We have two large, stainless steel metal bowls - one for water and one for food. We generally wash them by hand, since I know that some animals are very finicky with certain dishwashing liquids. Normally she doesn't have problems with these bowls.. she drinks her water out of them fine. But when we put the plain kibble in the metal bowl, she refuses to eat it, but she'll eat at least a little bit of it in a ceramic bowl.

Any idea/input on why this could be? I was under the impression that stainless steel was the way to go.. :-\

EDIT: Just gave her a little bit in a ceramic bowl and she took the food out little by little and put it onto the carpet then ate it...?? She's a weirdo.. Then i put some in a plastic bowl and she ate it directly out of it.

EDIT AGAIN: This morning she's back to not eating.. not out of plastic, ceramic or stainless steel.. AH!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Plastic vs. Metal Bowls

Stainless for me is easiest to clean, but I have heard of some dogs (2 I know of) having problems with the reflection from stainless. Is your dog a bit skittish elsewhere?

I have plastic and am switching because she is chewing it! Funny, she doesn't chew anything else but her bowl.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

haha of course. it always happens like that! :P Abbey had a smaller plastic dish with that nonslip grip stuff on the bottom, but it was wayyy too small, so i bought new ones and they were stainless steel.. now i think i need to go buy new plastic ones!!

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

tooth problems? our older lab doesn't like to eat from metal, plastic gives him "puppy acne" on his chin, so he eats off a paper towel or his bed when I feed him

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Stainless steel is much better for the most part. Many dogs develop allergies and "acne" due to contact allergies to plastics (on their chin/muzzle/nose), and with the tiny scratches that end up in the plastic, it harbors bacteria, even when run through the dishwasher constantly. Either way, my feeling is that dog dishes should be sent through the dishwasher as often as our own dishes to keep them as clean as possible, and to cut down on bacterial levels in the bowls.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

i agree that stainless steel is much better, but she will absolutely not even go near the food when it's in the stainless steel bowl, so i think i'm going to have to go another route..

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I have ceramic for Peanut and stainless steel for Baloo. I really like the ceramic, I just don't trust Baloo not to send it flying, the way he eats. :
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    I have ceramic for Peanut and stainless steel for Baloo. I really like the ceramic, I just don't trust Baloo not to send it flying, the way he eats. :
    hahaha yeah, abbey sends the stuff flying all over the place, unless it has the grippy material on the bottom :P

DefaultRe: UPDATE! Plastic vs. Metal Bowls

Your dog has got you wrapped around her paw. The bowl isn't the problem, you are. You are letting her dictate how to do things, i.e., changing foods, adding stuff, etc. Put her food down for 15-20 minutes. If nothing happens, pick it up and don't feed her until her next meal. In the meantime, no treats, nothing. Next meal, put it down. Pick it up after 15-20 minutes. After a few of days of this, she'll get the message.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast