Growth question...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Growth question...

jan elaine Guest

DefaultGrowth question...

I took Maggie to a Pet Expo this past weekend for a "crowd experience". While there many people with labs came up to me and we compared ages, ect. Well these labs were about 7 mos. old and 3-4 times the size of Maggie who is 4 mos. And 3-4 times larger as in height and weight. Do puppys really grow that much in such a short period of time? (Or could it be I have a dreaded "mini-lab"?!! ) Maggie only weighs about 26lbs. She isn't an eater. As a matter of fact the vet has me adding chicken baby food to her dry "Blue Buffalo" brand to try to get some weight on her. She liked Iams but didn't gain any weight and totally refused to go near Innova. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Growth question...

Baloo is only 57 pounds @ 11 months. Welcome to the mini-lab club. 8) ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

labby is offline Senior Member

Most dogs go through a rapid growth period at about 4-5 months and finish up their height at approx. 8-9 months, so yes they can grow that quickly. Jake seemed to sprout overnight sometimes.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

What's with this minilab thing? HK is 13 months and 62 pounds and just the perfect HK size. Implying mini, how offensive! How about a little PC here. ;D

Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I've seen it in my kids, the growth, around 5-9 months. They are all fairly related.
    Lily gained about an inch AFTER she was a year old. And Rhum who just turned one year recently had a big jump in height. About an inch. She may be a bit taller than Lily now.
    Rhum is also 67 lbs!!!
    I think that is close to what Lily weighs at nearly 3years old!!

Lines are different, nutrition I think can play a part too.
    Kim

Tim

we have 2 blacks ( 1 yr and 2 yr old ), both weigh between 64-68lbs, grew quite a bit between 4-9 months, they eat Eukanuba-dry and we do not feed them any "people food". hope that helps.

jan elaine Guest

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better. Seeing those other labs really made me wonder. It was like looking at a horse in comparison.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

(Or could it be I have a dreaded "mini-lab"?!! )
    What's to be dreaded about a small or normal, standard size Lab? I can see it only if you wanted a BIG one, for whatever reason, then that would that be a problem.

As it is, your Maggie is on course to mature at about 78 lbs. if she follows my Puff's rate of development.

MY preference is for the small, healthy-in-all-respects Lab. They fit so much better in cars, in boats, in beds. ;D ;D

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

jan elaine Guest

I do agree! We actually picked Maggie because she was small. And I am getting to an age where I really don't want to have to lift a 100lb lab. (My first one was 109lbs!) I worry about her too much. But whatever height/ weight she turns out to be she will be perfect for me. Hey, that rhymed and I wasn't even trying!!

Gus (6mos) seemed to grow over the weekend! On Friday I thought he looked like he was getting "almost as big" as his brother Bo. By this morning I'm thinking he's bigger than Bo. (Bo is 2+ years old and 68 pounds.) He was a baby at 4 months.

So ,yeah, they grow fast!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast