Growth question... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Growth question...

DefaultRe: Growth question...

I've been taking pictures of Koda about every two weeks with the same stuffed animal to see how big she is getting. She was about 17.5 when we got her at 8 weeks and now at almost 16w I think she is in the low 30s for sure. Her parents were both big so we expect her to be in the 80s or 90s.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bearbuddymarie is offline Senior Member

Bella is 9 months, and were at the vet today having her ears
    checked and she is 56 lbs. Little one here too, but I like having
    my little pretty yellow girlie, my big yellow guy (95 lbs), and
    my medium black pitt mix (75 lbs). They're all loveable !!
    Buddy 11

bella 5

Bruno 3

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

She's fine. Very similar to my 60# girls here at that age. Please don't TRY to put weight on her-- let her grow at her own rate. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Don't forget that Labs are not a "large" breed. I have smaller boys (60lbs) and LOVE having dogs that size. They don't seem "small" to me but in comparison to some monster Labs we occasionally see, they can appear that way.

Her parents were both big so we expect her to be in the 80s or 90s.
    That would be VERY large for a female...

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Anne/Trickster said:
    Don't forget that Labs are not a "large" breed
    It all depends.

According to AKC and the (US) Labrador Retriever Club:

General Appearance
    The Labrador Retriever is a strongly built, medium-sized, short-coupled, dog possessing a sound, athletic,....

BUT according to most US vets and canine nutritional studies, a "large breed" dog is one which, at maturity, weighs more than (I can't remember exactly, I think it's about) 45-50 lbs (20.4-22.7 kg). Or maybe it's 25 kg (55 lbs.)?

That's apparently a reason for some of the confusion about the desirability of feeding a "large breed puppy food" to Labs.

Vets and the canine nutritional studies lump Labs along with GSDs, Great Danes, & others, as being "large breed" dogs.

Some posters on JL argue against feeding a LBP food because the LRC and AKC both call Labs "medium-size."

So, it depends on within which context you're speaking -- dog club or vets/science studies.

I don't know what your UK vetmed weight criteria for a LB dog is.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Anne/Trickster said:
    Don't forget that Labs are not a "large" breed
    It all depends.

According to AKC and the (US) Labrador Retriever Club:

General Appearance
    The Labrador Retriever is a strongly built, medium-sized, short-coupled, dog possessing a sound, athletic,....

BUT according to most US vets and canine nutritional studies, a "large breed" dog is one which, at maturity, weighs more than (I can't remember exactly, I think it's about) 45-50 lbs (20.4-22.7 kg). Or maybe it's 25 kg (55 lbs.)?

That's apparently a reason for some of the confusion about the desirability of feeding a "large breed puppy food" to Labs.

Vets and the canine nutritional studies lump Labs along with GSDs, Great Danes, & others, as being "large breed" dogs.

Some posters on JL argue against feeding a LBP food because the LRC and AKC both call Labs "medium-size."

So, it depends on within which context you're speaking -- dog club or vets/science studies.

I don't know what your UK vetmed weight criteria for a LB dog is.

I think Labs are put into the large breed food group because they have a tendency for a bit more bone, and to grow fast and have ortho issues... not necessarily that they are that big as adults.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

hi
    bandit is 22 months old and has been growing ever since we rescued him at the age of 7 months.
    he is not to much over weight according to the vet but he weighs 127. we only feed him grain free
    diet food (evo) and string beans one cup of food with beans in the morning and the same at night.
    with a apple occasional. oh he is a bed hog and snores very loud but we still love him.
    rick

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Thanks! You've made me so happy!
    Jackson is nearly 2 and about 70lbs. My husband calls him a "teacup" lab. Our other lab is 95 and our chessie is 90lbs. It was suggested at the last dog show we went to that we show him in Canada because they like the more "moderate" dog.

Truth be known.. I love his smallness. He just cuddles easier!

Abby's Dad is offline Member

Our Abigail just turned 7-1/2 months and weighs 58lbs. She is a lot smaller than our late lab Amber who at max was 110lbs
    Amber was an American Field type lab, while Abigail is a English type. That is probably why their sizes are so different.

labby is offline Senior Member

The dog food companies designated that any dog over a certain weight is considered large breed so they can sell dog food. Which is why many Lab people don't buy into the LB puppy food idea. They don't consider Labs to be a large breed.

Laura

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast