Whether to Vaccinate or Not: Distemper & Parvo Questions
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whether to Vaccinate or Not: Distemper & Parvo Questions

DefaultWhether to Vaccinate or Not: Distemper & Parvo Questions

As the date draws near for my puppy to be brought home I am still undecided whether to vaccinate or not for distemper. From all I read vaccinations seem to do so much harm that I am going to fee raw and work on building her natural immunity.
    For the record, I am choosing my path carefully. I want only what is best for my puppy/dog's entire life as I am sure all the members here want too. I write this w/ complete sincerity in hopes of treading lightly and finding the best path.

Here is a post from AKC's website:
    http://www.akc.org/press_center/akc_...k_AKC/0706.cfm

"Canine Distemper Virus (CDV) is carried by a number of wildlife carnivorous species such as raccoons, skunks, foxes, otters, weasels, coyotes, wolves and even mink. In fact, CDV is fairly common among wildlife. It is spread through the secretions and excretions of infected animals usually in airborne particles that other animals, including dogs, can breathe in. The good news is that the virus doesn’t survive very long once it is outside of the body."

I feel this is the only vax necessary to give. As I have read distemper is fatal in 80% of puppies, 50% in adult dogs. Since my puppy will be exposed to other dogs at training classes and my local community it seems prudent to consider this viral disease may very well be at large in my local vicinity.

Parvo:
    The thought here is to use a product Parvaid, have it on hand to treat in case parvo is contracted.
    Has anyone here treated their puppy/dog w/ Parvaid or have had first hand experience w/ a puppy/dog that contracted parvo and treated w/ Parvaid.

Thanks for reading. This is such a hard topic for all of us.

Doug

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Whether to Vaccinate or Not: Distemper & Parvo Questions

Are you saying that Parvo is the only necessary vax or distemper?

I would highly encourage you to vaccinate against parvo. It is incredibly virulent, can be carried on people, and is incredibly expensive/hard to treat.

Does your breeder know of your plan not to do puppy vacs?

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Don't be foolish. Lots of puppies die from both distemper and parvo. There is no reason to take such a chance with the health of your puppy.

I too am concerned about over-vaccination of dogs and I think in the past there has been a lot of this. However, puppy shots are a must for the health of your dog and in my opinion are not something to play around with. Most vets are using the new shot protocol for dogs, which calls for booster shots every three years instead of yearly. If you are concerned about over-vaccinating I would definitely look for a vet that is willing to work with the new shot protocol.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Don't be foolish. Lots of puppies die from both distemper and parvo. There is no reason to take such a chance with the health of your puppy.

I too am concerned about over-vaccination of dogs and I think in the past there has been a lot of this. However, puppy shots are a must for the health of your dog and in my opinion are not something to play around with.
    +100

Well said.

I don't do yearly booster vaccinations, but I would not dream of not vaccinating for parvo and distemper. Call me skeptical, but I do not believe that feeding raw boosts the immune system in such a way that the dog will be magically 'protected' against the likes of parvo and distemper. :-\

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I forgot to say that those vaccinations will be necessary if you want to take your dog to puppy classes and use kennel/day care/dog walker/pet sitter facilities.

Responding to both posts.
    I am considering all the options, I have to. It is my duty and my desire.

My current vet will work w/ a minimum vax protocol, let me purchase individual vaccince and administer individually w/ intervals.

In my first post I am stating that I think Distemper is the viral disease to vaccinate for. As due to Parvo being able to be treated w/ a product, Parvaid.

I don't think I am being foolish. I have been reading quite a bit regarding vaccinations, including the minimum protocol. I have spoken to several vets, Virginia's state vet and my local vet in Fairfax County. All of them have different opinions. All of them have their own adgenda, so this is a very difficult decision. In fact all the vets I have spoken w/ have told me they see very few cases of distemper and parvo, the state vet told me that neither of these viral infections are tracked, so we have no way of knowing actually how many cases have occurred. That is why I asked the question about Parvo/Parvaid in my initial post, just for that reason, to see how many people if any have had personal experiences.

Reading "Shock to the System" by C. O'Driscoll, has given me much to think about, I would recommend this book to everyone. It does not make it easier on which way to go w/ vax, but it does put the choice back in our hands.

brody is offline Senior Member

Rabies vaccines are the LAW in most places...

Parvo is not as treatable as I'd wish and watching a puppy suffer from parvo or die from it is something I would wish on NO ONE

I'm not into overvaccinating either but think the basic puppy series is essential if your dog is going to be exposed to other animals

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I agree with the others, Doug. I'm all for not overvaccinating but I think one ought to, IMHO, at the very least, provide the puppy series and then 1 year booster, including rabies.

I'm not a vet, but from my understanding, parvo is extremely virulent, and if left untreated a very high percentage of pups die. Even if treated, not all pups survive. :-\ Parvo can also survive in the environment (yard, house) for months afterwards and could reinfect your pup (or others).

From the Amber Technologies website re: Parvaid
    According to studies, nine times out of ten, if Parvaid is given early enough (before symptoms start) your puppy may not come down with the illness. Parvaid has an 85% success rate.
    The thought here is to use a product Parvaid, have it on hand to treat in case parvo is contracted.
    So... you have to give the Parvaid before the puppy shows parvo symptoms... how do you know if the pup has been exposed or not? Or is it given preventatively?

What my understanding of their statement is... 90% of the time, if Parvaid is given BEFORE symptoms start (again, how do you know if your pup has been exposed), you then have an 85% chance of your puppy not dying. ???

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Labsrme

I too am concerned about over-vaccination of dogs and I think in the past there has been a lot of this. However, puppy shots are a must for the health of your dog and in my opinion are not something to play around with. Most vets are using the new shot protocol for dogs, which calls for booster shots every three years instead of yearly. If you are concerned about over-vaccinating I would definitely look for a vet that is willing to work with the new shot protocol.
    +100 here too. Give the puppy sets of shots, then move to the 3 year cycle, but when giving the puppy shots, space them out - one at a time as opposed to the all in one shots most offices like to do. My vet liked that I knew this, and allowed me to go in for one shot every 2 to 3 weeks until we were all done.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Whatever you decide please talk it over with the breeder as well.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast