Brand new to Lab ownership- a few questions!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new to Lab ownership- a few questions!!

DefaultBrand new to Lab ownership- a few questions!!

Thank you ahead of time to anyone who reads this.
    Tank is 5 months old as of the 1st, and he recently started limping. I think it is in his shoulder. He is only a pup, and he hasnt had an injury, but he is HUGE- I have never seen a puppy this big LOL! Im going to take him to the vet in 2 weeks, but was wondering if someone may give me some idea to what it is? I was told that Labs are notorious for joint issues- is that true?

Also- I am feeding him Iams, but I dont like it. I have tried all the grocery store brands, and I dont know if I am doing him any favors. What is your food of choice??

One last thing- Supplements. I give them to my horses, so I dont see why my dog shouldnt get them too. Maybe a joint supplement and a vitamin??

Thank you so much!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I would not be waiting 2 weeks to get a vet consult on this. Did you feed him puppy food? Often adult foods have too much calcium and cause excessive growth - which then often leads to joint injuries. Is he jumping off the bed, jumping off stairs, stressing his joints in any manner? If he is consistently limping - he has an injury - it is just a matter of the degree. If you are lucky, it is muscular and just a strain.

I would not feed my dog anything found in a grocery store. There are many good foods to choose from. I fed my puppy Pro Plan LBP (transitioning to Wellness) and my adult is on Wellness CORE. A lot of members use a variety of foods successfully.

On supplements - many do give supplements - it is a matter of what you are planning to give at what stage of development. Someone more experienced in that than I will probably chime in.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Well, I wouldnt wait if I didnt have to. He is pretty lazy all the time, really only plays alot when other dogs are visiting.

Thanks for the info.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by palomino View Post
    Well, I wouldnt wait if I didnt have to. He is pretty lazy all the time, really only plays alot when other dogs are visiting.

Thanks for the info.
    OK - where I live I can get into see my vet pretty much the same day. It is hard for me to relate to a 2 week wait.

Since you have no choice, I would crate him whenever other dogs are around. He should not be allowed to run/play and exacerbate the injury. You don't want a simple strain (possible) to turn into an orthopedic issue.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Please get the dog to a vet. Find out what the issue is. Muscle injury, tendon injury, joint displasia. Once you know that, your path forward will pretty much be defined. Hope it is nothing.

You said he is really big. Curious what that means. Wide, tall, overweight? If your boy is big as in tall, you really should consult with a vet, or good breeder on care for him. My son's Lab is the tallest Lab I have ever seen, probably beyond the standard. He was allowed to get overweight when younger, 6 months through 2 years, he was about 140 lbs. He has paid a penalty for that, some hip displasia but really bad arthritis in the back legs. He is on a very restricted diet since, down to 95 lbs and holding. At 95 lbs he is skinny. He is the best dog in the world, but I hurt to see him want to run with the other dogs and accepting that he can't.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

I have a 7 month old chocolate female...she's a big girl too. (She weighs about 52lbs right now). We had a similar prolem with her limping also, quite badly sometimes. We took her to the vet for it and was advised to change her to adult food (this was at 5 months old). Sometimes puppy food has TOO MUCH nutrition, causing the muscles, ligaments and tendons to grow too fast, faster than the bones are able to grow, which causes the muscles and tendons to stretch, causing the limping. We switched her to an adult large breed food and also give her a vitamin C supplement. She has almost comletely stopped limping now. We checked her over for injuries but she didn't have any. The limping was never consistently in the same leg either, it seemed to change. The switch to adult food(large breed) and the vit C definitely seemed to help her. Our vet said she was just growing too fast on the pupy food and it was causing muscle and tendon problems.
    Might be something you'd like to try.
    Dog fod bought in the grocery stores is junk. Get your dog some better food than that..alot of the better quality large breed foods contain glucosamin and chondroitin, which is great for labs' joints.

javasmom is offline Senior Member

By the way...what do you mean by HUGE?? How big are you talking? Is he a pure bred lab?
    I would take him to the vets first, before trying anything else. I suggested trying the food change, but we didn't do that until after we took Java to the vets to rule out any injury or other cause.

Yep hes pure Lab, he is I would guess around 50 or so pounds. He just turned 5 months, and he is bigger than my friends full grown black Lab, towers over her! Oh, and he is not overweight or anything, he is at a great weight- he is tall and stocky!!
    I will switch his food to a better quality adult and give him some Vit C until I can take him to the vet!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Is he limping constantly? On and off? Does it switch from leg to leg? My Tucker had "growing pains" at around that age, it's called pano-something. At that age, they start getting their height so the bones in their joints are growing pretty quickly.

If it's constant limping, please don't wait 2 weeks....

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

50lbs isnt that huge at 5 months, but I would be concerned with the limping. Could be any number of things that start showing up at this age...elbow dysplasia, pano, etc etc.

I would a) stop switching his food and settle in on one b) get him to a vet immediately c) stop letting him rough house with other dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast