Partial tear - cruciate ligament

Thread: Partial tear - cruciate ligament

DefaultPartial tear - cruciate ligament

Hi everyone, I haven't posted in a while...things have been crazy lately. What else is new, eh? But the worst part is that Nauga has just been limping on and off for a few months. We had x-rays done last November but they did not show any signs of injury. My vet suggested restricted walks and a wait and see approach. Even after this his limping remained. So, I pushed to see an ortho vet. Well, we finally had our consult with the ortho vet. She performed a joint tap and did more x-rays. According to her, the joint tap was 'unremarkable' and the x-rays showed infusion in the joint and arthritis setting in. She is confident that he has a partially torn cruciate ligament. She wants to go in for an exploratory surgery and if the tear is present she will repair it. She is recommending performing a TPLO. She was extremely confident that this was the best procedure for Nauga and that it would be successful for him. I'm sure this has been talked about before but does anyone have any thoughts about TPLO vs traditional repair for a partial tear. I have only been able to find research on full ruptures. The TPLO procedure just sounds so invasive. But, ultimately I just want to do want is best for Nauga. Thanks for any help...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab13 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Partial tear - cruciate ligament

My lab is in week 11 of recovery from TPLO surgery for a cruciate ligament tear. I am not sure how to compare the complete tear from the partial tear as far as surgery needs or the recovery process.
    She did well with the TPLO surgery and is progressing well with the recovery and physio exercises.
    I have also had a lab go through the traditional method and I would say that both are stressful times for both ways of fixing the problem.
    With the traditional surgery my lab had a bandage wrap on his leg for quite some time. He wasn't allowed in his kennel as he just didn't fit in it with the leg bandaged all up so we had to find him a place to sleep and stay when we went out. He was restricted to almost the same restrictions as the TPLO way as far as I can remember.

My present lab had this method because she is only 6 and very active and the vet thought that it would be the best for her long term too. I understand that there is a chance that the other good knee can go when all the weight is put on that good knee and that the TPLO method has a better recovery. My only negative I would say would be that we live up in Ontario and it has been very cold here recently. She seems to be very sensitive to the cold with the TPLO plate in her knee. When it is very cold out she will lift the knee up and want back in the house to get warmer. I have asked the vet and they tell me that the metal plate does conduct the cold air onto it and that is what is happening to our lab. Otherwise everything is great.
    With the traditional method there is always the risk of re -injury of the bad knee and then you would have to do the TPLO way as I understand it.

Good luck with your decision, I know that it is a hard one.
    The costs involved have to be considered as the price difference is quite a lot between them.

The first few weeks it is tough and you need to watch them all the time.

At 11 weeks, my lab has just started to do the stairs but on a leash.
    No rough play, running, jumping yet.

Sleeping_Lion is offline Member

Sorry, I'm not up on anagrams, so am not sure exactly what TPLO stands for?

Indie ruptured the anterior cruciate on her left knee in July last year. She had an operation which exposed the knee joint so they could drill two holes through the lower bone, and pass an acrylic cable through, hooking it through an existing bony growth on the thigh bone (sorry again, rubbish at remembering medical terminology!). Eventually the body rejects the foreign body (acrylic cable) and grows cells around and over it, replacing the ligament structure. Although it isn't exactly the same it does make a good replacement, and eventually the acrylic cable is no longer required and just snaps without needing removal; Indie does hydrotherapy as well to help build up the muscles on this leg, and she is nearly looking fit enough to have a dabble at showing with. Not that we'd planned showing her, but unfortunately we won't be able to compete with her in our chosen sport as it would involve a 6 foot scale.
    Joanne and Jez, Indie and Tau<br /><br />The Tau Monster!!!!&nbsp; And Boootiful Indie.....<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

We did a more traditional repair for a partial tear. I would do it again.

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/cruciatelrt.htm
    Kim

blackjack is offline Senior Member

Not a lab, but Buster had TPLO surgery a couple years ago. Same as your dog, he limped for a couple months off and on after running like a maniac after a big pointer at the dog park. The hard part for him and us was to keep him quiet. At that point we just had beagles. We set up a playpen for him in the living room during the day, and kept him crated at night in our room. He even ate his dinner in the crate. He exhibited a couple little quirks during that time, like trying to bury his food under toys or completely flipping his dish over if he didn't want to eat right then (the beagles didn't learn competitive eating until we got BJ). He had to go out with a belly band to go potty, and we had to keep him off the furniture for several months.

No problems since, the other side seems to be holding up. He does occasionally limp in cold weather but that's about it.

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

Thanks everyone for your replies. Lab13 we are in Ontario as well. Nauga is seeing Dr Ann Sylvestre at the Oakville Emergency Hospital. She has been doing the TPLO procedure since 1999. I have heard great things about her. In some of the research I have done I've seen mention of a new procedure called a TTA which apparently is similar to the TPLO but uses titanium instead of steel. Does anyone have any experience with this procedure? I wonder if it may be better suited to our cold weather up here???