Chewing paws

Thread: Chewing paws

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

DefaultChewing paws

Shane just started chewing his paws within the last week. He only chews his front paws. I've checked for cuts, but have found none. The hair is discolored, probably from the licking and chewing. He's on the same food since bringing him home from the breeder (Canidae All Life Stages). In addition to that he gets salmon oil and GlycoFlex I and 4 in 1 probiotics. He'll be a year old next month. We don't use any salt on our walkways either. I'm at a loss as to what could have brought this on.

Any ideas what it could be?
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

clear is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chewing paws

Ben chews on his paws when he gets bored, he usely chews on his nails. How wierd eh. As long as you dont see any sores or pests on him i wouldnt worry to much.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Is it possible that he is getting snow in between his toes?
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sadies Paw is offline Member

Sadie started chewing her front feet at about 8-9 months old; she is now almost 2...and she still licks and chews. Different foods, experiments with certain meds and 3 vets later....and no real solution for us. In between her pads and between her toes she gets scaly red skin, very yeasty smelling. One time she developed a very bad infection on her one paw that she required antibiotics for. I assume the sore foot allowed bacteria to creep in. Another time she developed a yeast infection on the bottoms of her feet from licking so much. There are some great meds to treat these bad times but when the meds are gone, she slowly begins to lick again. All in all, environmental allergies seems to be the culprit. Perphaps a combination of boredom and developing the bad habit is another. She flares up on and off on a weekly basis. Some dogs get it real bad; Sadie's case is mild-medium. I use a couple different shampoo's to wash her feet on a weekly-biweekly basis that help remove any yeasty build up which keeps her paws clean. I am about to try the med "Venectyl-P" which is an antihistamene with a bit of predisone (steroid) in it. I have tried antihistamene's by themseleves for Sadie, but they don't seem to help much. Occassionaly Sadie has to wear her Cone for a few days to allow her feet to heal up. It's weird, sometimes we can go almost 6 weeks with no sign of anything, and then within 24 hours, her paws look horrible.
    I'd recommend inspecting the paws on a daily basis (in between the toes and bewtween the pads on the bottom side). I thought Sadie was only chewing her nails for the longest time, until I realized the bottoms of her feet were pretty nasty. Keeping her tierd with a lot of excercise helps keep her mind off it aswell.
    Sadie gets supplemented fish oil aswell. That doesn't seem to help her feet, but her coat is beautiful! Her feet problem doesn't really effect her daily routine, but it is frustrating for me and annoying for her. I'm gonna keep trying!

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Thank you for the replies. I'll keep monitoring Shane's paws. I've checked and don't see any cuts or sores.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)