eagle pack fish diet
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eagle pack fish diet

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Defaulteagle pack fish diet

I am in the process of switching my lab over to the eagle pack fish diet. I was thinking of also adding in some extra salmon on top to top up the protein level a bit.
    How much do you think would be a good amount to add per feeding?
    I just think that it would be better as my dog has always been more settled on a higher protein food than the 22% that this is.
    I guess I could also use sardines as well as the salmon.
    Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: eagle pack fish diet

Why not feed a higher protein fish diet?
    <br />Oregon

The only one that I know of that is higher is the Pro Plan and she didn't do well on it. This is working (with fingers crossed)!
    Which ones are you thinking of?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

WELLNESS CORE OCEAN FORMULA

Also, Origen and Taste of the Wild have fish diets over 22%.
    <br />Oregon

Thanks for the info.
    I will check them out but this is working finally for her.

So I still want to know if anyone knows how much salmon or sardines I should add to the eagle pack fish diet to up the protein a bit per serving?

Her coat looks amazing on this food and less itching and licking too.

We have heard of some concerns of feeding your dog a fish diet long term with all the risks of heavy metals in fish.

Should I be concerned about feeding a 6 yr old lab a fish diet ie Eagle pack salmon, anchovy and sardine long term. The fish is probably farmed by source.

Even though the diet seems to be working, am I replacing one problem for another long term which could be worse than the original allergies.

Any thought on this, I am confused as to what to do.
    Thanks.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

If she has allergies and the diet is working for her - why add anything to it?

I'm pretty sure the mercury is only a problem in fish "higher up" on the food chain with bioaccumulation and all. You could email Eagle Pack and ask them, they have a vet/nutritionist that answers questions. I've emailed him before (the contact info is on their web site) and he was helpful.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

To be honest, I don't think they are going to knock feeding their own product long term.
    I emailed them to ask why they add chicken in their canned fish diet but that is what they have as a base recipe.
    I told them that I was going to be adding wild canned salmon to the kibble they said ok after I told them that I wouldn't be using their canned product as it had the chicken in it and that is what we were trying to avoid in the dogs diet.

When I look at the diet, the sardines and anchovies are probably ok but it is the salmon that is the concern. It is most probably farmed and therefore if it isn't recommended for us to eat every day how could it be recommended for a dog to eat twice a day, everyday. Also dogs are smaller by weight than us too so will this cause them more problems than even us???

pbc
    pbc is offline Senior Member

Eagle's fish is a cold water fish not farmed. If I remember correctly this info is on their website. WHy do you think you want a higher % of protein then the 22%?
    Guest poster - original forum July 2001. Member 2002. nbsc

everydog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pbc
    Eagle's fish is a cold water fish not farmed. If I remember correctly this info is on their website.
    I asked EP when this first came out, and they said it was farmed fish from Canada. Salmon is farmed in "cold ocean water" - I don't think mercury is the problem - it's the PCBs from the fish meal used as feed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast