Coco, our chocolate puppy, vomitted up part of her lunch last night before dinner. After dinner she seemed fine until about 9pm when she vomitted again (small amounts) in a couple of separate episodes. She seemed fine, playful, went out before bed to pee and poop too. But this morning I noticed some bile looking wet stuff in her kennel blankets. So we put her on 12 hours without food and little amounts of water and ice chips. I also got online and found the recommendation for rice and boiled chicken or hamburger to give her a bland diet for a couple of days. She did great the first little meal. No vomitting at all. Her nose is cold, eyes are clear and she is alert. She doesn't have loose stools either. At dinner time we tried again and she seemed OK and actually playful with Abbey. But after an hour or so she went out to do her business and vomitted maybe half of her dinner. Over the next 2 hours she vomitted a couple tablespoons of liquid with just a few grains of rice (sorry for the graphic details); so I tried a teaspoon of Pepto (the vet had told me how much today over the phone). It stayed down maybe an hour or so. Then up it came too. The odd thing is she wants to eat, drink and play but nothing is staying down very well. I am thinking maybe we should just go to the vet tomorrow just to be sure nothing else is going on with her. Any ideas or has anyone gone through something similar with you lab pups/youngsters? All advice is welcomed. I haven't been this worried since my kids were little and sick.
Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!
Did you notice if she has eaten or swallowed anything she shouldn't have (20 week old pups are good at chewing things up they shouldn't) don't want to alarm you but an obstruction might be a possibility if she is vomiting and not pooping. I would go ahead with the trip to the vets. Are her gums a nice coral colour? That is a good sign of their general health if they are pale IMO I wouldn't waist time and get her to the vet (Just a tip don't check them straight after she has vomited wait awhile because it is common for them to go pale directly defore, during of after vomiting, check when she seems like she's "okay" - if that makes sense)
Hope it's nothing serious and she's back to herself soon.
See if these are of any helpwww.coastanimalhealth.com.au/Templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?Story_No=165&specie=1
Coco had an OK night. She was still throwing up liquid until around 1am and then slept until 3:30 - out to pee and laid back down until around 5:15am. She did drink some water (little bit only) for me. I did check her gums - they look very normal. She was playful too and a bit irritated at me that Abbey got to eat breakfast without her. I gave her about 2 tablespoons of cooked white rice to see how she might do and she nosed it around and walked away from her bowl. She did let me check out her tummy and all without showing any signs of pain and it is not bloated. I couldn't feel any hard spots either but I still think we need to let the vet doc take a look at her. She hasn't eaten anything that stayed down long enough to create "poop" of any significance but you are right with you concern about her pancreas or maybe a small obstruction. Labs will put anything and everything in their mouth and then run from you when you try to get it back. We watch both of them when they are outside but you never know. At least I know we aren't missing any dog toys. I will update again once we have seen the vet. Thanks again for all the information. The article on the pancreas problems was scary. I had not heard or read about those issues before. Knowledge with dogs is critical. That is why I really like this forum. Blessings to you and your family "down under" from ours here in the desert southwest.
Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!
NM Lab Lover, Throwing up and no poop >>> go to the vet.
Don't know your background, but do you feel confident diagnosing an intestinal blockage? Most vets use an xray. Has Coco had access to any rawhide, infamous for causing blockage, large chunk of tennis ball, small rocks from the yard, collars, leashes, golf balls, the list goes on.
Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.
I would get your baby to the vet... you never know, it could be an obstruction or something since they eat everything. Hopefully it's nothing and clears up quickly! I know how difficult it is when they won't eat/drink.
Thank you all for you support and advice. We got an appointment first thing Friday morning with our vet. He checked her over and felt she most likely had gastritis but that an obstruction or blockage was a possibility too. So he gave her an injection of Cerenia to help stop the vomiting; gave us Biosponge capsules to give 2x daily for 7 days and instructions to continue with the rice and boiled chicken. He said since she was not in any pain or discomfort with all of his probbing he felt we could try the easy remedies first before putting her through anything else. She did great yesterday and this morning on the new menu and with small amounts of water and ice cubes in between has been able to get all systems back on line. I just got off the phone with the vet's office this morning. They wanted to know how she was doing and they are almost as excited as we are. When she finally pooped this morning it felt like a huge weight came off my chest. Through all of this she has stayed playful with us and our other lab Abbey. The puppies are really like little children. Once they start on the medicine or to fell better they snap back quickly. We are so thankful and grateful - she will continue the meds for a week and on the bland diet until at least Tuesday. Then we will slowly resume her regular food. Just wanted to share the happy ending with you all. Have a great weekend and be blessed.
Love JL. Justlabradors.com!!!