TPLO - cold sensitive

Thread: TPLO - cold sensitive

lab13 is offline Senior Member

DefaultTPLO - cold sensitive

My lab had her cruciate ligament operation in November with the TPLO method.
    Since then with the winter temperatures she is very sensitive to cold. When it is very cold outside she will lift up her leg when outside. When she comes in she does stop it.
    I have asked the vet about this and they say that it is the plate that is probably becoming cold and making it cold for her too inside her knee.
    Has anyone found this with their labs that have had the TPLO method?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

DefaultRe: TPLO - cold sensitive

Lucky had a TPLO a few years ago. The surgeon warned me that he might be cold sensitive in that leg, due to the metal plate. I haven't noticed anything, though. He really only gets stiff after running a lot more than usual, like when we go hiking or to the beach.

Allies Mom is offline Senior Member

My Buffy had TPLO surgery last July. I do see all at times all 4 of mine hold up a leg when its cold and snowy. I will have to pay attention and see which leg Buffy holds up. How is she doing, other than that?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab13 is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the info.
    My lab is progressing well.
    She has just started stairs and is happy to be able to go downstairs now.
    She goes back next week for another recheck so we will see what she can progress to next.
    Do your labs take glucosamine to prevent arthiritis? My mum's lab had his knee done the old way and ended up with a lot of arthritis. He takes "human' glucosame and it has worked wonders on him.

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

Safety and efficacy is not well enough established for my comfort level to give my dog glucosamine. I did give it to him for about six months, but saw no difference.