Skin issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skin issues

vgariffo is offline Senior Member

DefaultSkin issues

Bo has a recurrent problem with "zits" for lack of a better word, in the area of his belly and near his "goodies". (I was gonna say privates, but what dog keeps them private?). Anyway, this has been treated once or twice with antibiotics when it became infected, and this gets rid of it, but it has recurred. at the moment I'm keeping an eye on it in hopes NOT to have to go to the vet and get more meds.
    I was wondering if this is a hygiene issue, perhaps. I've been attempting to keep the area clean(ish).
    anyone have experience in this area? It doesn't seem to bother him at all. Is this something I can treat at home?
    Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Skin issues

My Puff used to get red zits over her belly and I didn't realize that they morphed into brownish splotches on her pink skin that at first I mistook for smears of dirt. (Many were close to where her privates would be if she had any)

We "vet doctor" at K-State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl. Our excellent vet there, a diplomate (highest level) in internal medicine, prescribed antibiotics the first time and the next 2X recurrences shortly after. Each time, she took & lab tested some scrapings and said it was a staph infection.

Puff's 4th time in about 5 months, I asked to see a dermatologist. She concurred it was staph and thought it was caused by Puff's running in the nature preserve early each morning, getting dew on her belly, and that picking up pollen, dust, etc., which caused the irritation and staph.

She Rx'ed a 4th round of antibiotics but after that had me use a medicated shampoo (benzoyl peroxide) on Puff's belly after each exposure followed by 3X/week as needed.

That really helped and we've had no problem the last 4 years. Also, I began taking Puff swimming after her early morning walks (which flushes off pollen and detritus) and thoroughly drying her (which also helps and which she likes better than the swimming -- she calls me her "Sweetish Masseur" ;D )

Don't know if it's the same but could be ??
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Wow, that sounds like the same type of thing. i'm pretty sure he gets it from running around outside and getting wet, etc. Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

It sounds like staph to me. Some dogs are more prone to it than others. The best thing I've found for staph is to use Malaseb shampoo. You can get this from your vet or from one of the online dog supply houses. I've also heard that using a damp microfiber cloth to rub the belly area can be helpful - it's supposed to actually remove the bacteria from the skin. Can't hurt and might help and is easy to do daily.

imported_VHLabs is offline Senior Member

My one lab had a skin issue in that area too.... I would treat it with Malaseb spray or wipes. It took care of it. Malaseb is a great product. Shadow seems to pee his crate for months (the only dog of my 7 that did). So I presummed that with him sitting in pee during the day caused the issue... Finally after 7 months he stopped peeing his crate. No more skin issues.
    Any time someone would start with an ear infection, I would use the malaseb and it would take care of it.
    Try Malaseb.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultMalaseb vs. Benzoyl peroxide medicated shampoos

I hadn't heard of Malaseb so Googled it. Most of the customer reviews on Amazon were quite positive. The only one that was slightly critical was this one:

Good as antifungal not so good as antibacterial

I recently adopted a westie resue dog who is suffering from pyroderma ... and she scratches and bites herself raw due to itching. Well she is on antibiotics and she gets medicated baths every two days. This is where the Malaseb shampoo came in. And although it is a very highly touted product my readings showed that there are better antibacterial shampoos around. Look for products containing benzoil peroxide. This is according to the Merck veterianry manual. Even though this is a product that was very helpful until I came across the other product. My dog is now improving and her scratching and biting is much better than it was.

The benzoyl peroxide product we used is a prescription product. The troubled area is lathered with the BP shampoo and allowed to remain on for 10 minutes; then it's thoroughly rinsed off and the area dried. I think treatment frequency can vary from daily or every other day when the pyoderma (staph) infection is raging to 1ce/week when in remission (it's been a couple years since we used it).

Since you can get the Malaseb on your own, it may be worth trying.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Added:

I Googled benzoyl peroxide shampoo and found a number of products and places available containing this which are not prescription products.

You might do the Google too, and then you can decide whether to first try the Malaseb or the benzoyl peroxide.

I'm really glad to find this out. I'm going to get a bottle of BP and, at the first sight of red bumps, begin the treatment again. That'll save the cost of a trip to our vet (50 miles away), the vet appt cost, and buying the Rx product. ;D

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

imported_VHLabs is offline Senior Member

For more severe infections, you need the prescription meds, but for mild things, I really like Malaseb.
    But I have to say I treated a pretty severe ear infection on one of my dogs with great results from malaseb. Skin infections generally need to several oral antibiotic treatments in conjunction with an antibacterial.anitfungal shampoos. Anytime I see one of my dogs getting an issue with their coat.... bath time with malaseb. Tips it in the bud.

Thanks. I ordered some shampoo yesterday from EntirelyPets.com, and it arrived TODAY!!

justine is offline Senior Member

My Abbey is just getting over this.. it's called "puppy acne." Some dogs get in on their chins, but mostly on their belly (where there is no hair covering the skin). I took her to THREE vets and the first two gave her a bunch of antibiotics that did nothing and a shampoo that made it 3424 times worse. The third vet knew exactly what it was and prescribed some antibiotics and some antihistamines, since she has allergies. Since being on these, it has completely cleared up

if you want to know what meds they were, i can let you know! just ask!

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

My little Abzilla used to get it quite often - we'd just get one staph infection cleared up and another would come.

I tackled it at the root - her immune system. I suspected she had a grain intolerance, so we went grain free, and I also began supplements - fish oils, missing link, yogurt, and within 3 months, no more staph infections. That was 8 months ago. I do not think it was a coincidence.

So, if your dog is prone to this, I'd take a look at his/her immune system, and work on fixing that, rather then keeping up with antibiotics.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast