Ear Infection...(Need Opinions)

Thread: Ear Infection...(Need Opinions)

TidePride50 is offline Junior Member

DefaultEar Infection...(Need Opinions)

I posted in a different thread about my situation, but didnt get much of a response so I decided to start a new thread. Anyway here's the situation. We went to the vet yesterday for the normal yearly check up and turns out Gumbo has an ear infection in both ears (worse in right ear). I had no idea until I came here that it could be caused from food. He doesnt have a history of ear problems (none that I know of) and has been on the same food for quite sometime now (Pedigree Adult Nutrition). The weather has been crazy down here in Mississippi to say the least. It's constantly up and down in terms of temperature and lots of rain here lately too. So I am thinking that it may just be the weather. The vet said his right ear is really flared up, but the left not so bad. She got me some solution to put in and then a tube of medicine. I have read searched and read several topics on this subject and many of you seem to have a lot of experience with this situation. I am for sure going to purchase some the purple stuff that many of you refer to, but my questions is should I start thinking of switching food? Is the food he is on now good for labs? He seems to really like it, but that is beside the point. If he needs a better brand or type we'll make the switch. I am new to labs so all input would be appreciated. What do yall think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ear Infection...(Need Opinions)

Food can be one of the probems, water getting in ears (as from swimming) is another.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Seasonal allergies are another possible cause. Keep a note about this ear infection and if he gets another one, note the date again. You may see a pattern develop.

I did an online search and can't find anything called Pedigree "adult nutrition", I do see "complete nutrition". Two things about this formula concern me. First is that the first ingredient is corn. That means the food is made up mostly of corn. The 2nd ingredient is meat and bone meal. What kind of meat? Some dogs can't handle certain proteins (beef, sometimes lamb). I'd start by finding a food that has a specific protein (chicken meal, lamb meal, fish meal, etc). I'd also prefer to see the protein listed first. Also, you'll want to see chicken meal as opposed to plain ol' chicken. The ingredients are listed as a precooked weight so if chicken is first, that is mostly water weight and it will be substantially less after processing. Meal is already processed so the weight will not be effected by processing.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks RNL. I think it is "adult complete nutrition."

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I forgot to add that corn and wheat are other allergens so you might also want to consider a different source of carbs like potato, sweet potato, etc.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

If the ear infection is a yeast problem (caused by the corn etc. in the food most likely) giving 1 tbspn of apple cider viniger (organic) daily can help along with the food switch. Just put in food and add water. You may have to start slow by putting 1 1/2 tspn in a.m. and p.m. meal.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

Chronic ear infections are due to some type of allergy a lot of the time. If this is a one time thing I doubt it's due to the food. Mocha has had ear infections in the past but they were due to water in her ears from swimming or a bath and I didn't get it all out. They cleared up right away with medication and cleaning and she didn't get another for a year or longer. If this is the case don't freak out just clean them per the vets instructions and go back to make sure it's all gone in a few weeks. If it clears up just keep an eye on them.

If you want to change food do so slowley. If your already on a Pedigree food and he does well on it maybe concider changing to Proplan it's the higher end Purina food and a lot of people on here have had good luck with it. Food is something you can't just switch to something someone else likes it may not work for every dog. Stick with what works for your dog.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Is this his first ear infection? If it is I wouldn't go and start switching foods just yet. One ear infection doesn't really mean anything in terms of allergies (true food allergies in dogs aren't that common). If he has one after another or persistent ear infections then I would look at a possible food switch.

There's also not a reason to add in the purple stuff if you have a cleaning solution and medication from the vet. When you get to using too many things at once you won't know what's working and what is just extra - and that means more stuff to buy each time an ear infection pops up

If this is the first one, I'd stick to what the vet gave you, see if it works and clears the infection up, and go from there.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

You can always get your vet to swab and culture the gunk in his ears. That way you'll know if it's yeast or not.

Henry was plagued with gungy ears from the time he was a young pup. Finally, after repeated infections and repeated vet visits and repeated antibiotics, we had the culture done and it was yeast. Antibiotics won't help with yeast. I switched to a raw diet (not saying you should, but at least try to eliminate corn and wheat, and other grains if possible) and his ears cleared up within 2 weeks.

As far as your question about the Pedigree Complete Nutrition goes... here are the ingredients:
    INGREDIENTS
    GROUND WHOLE CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, GROUND WHEAT, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), WHEAT MILL RUN, WHEAT FLOUR, NATURAL FLAVOR, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CARAMEL COLOR, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, RICE, VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), VITAMINS (CHOLINE CHLORIDE, dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, ZINC PROTEINATE, COPPER SULFATE, COPPER PROTEINATE, MANGANESE PROTEINATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), ADDED FD&C AND LAKE COLORS (YELLOW 6, YELLOW 5, BLUE 2, RED 40).
    I'll highlight in red the ingredients I personally don't like...

Even if your pup has no yeast issues, this food is FULL of corn, corn gluten and wheat. Cheap, cheap filler. (The majority of the food is made of the ingredients listed before the first fat source (in this case, animal fat)).

I don't like that they don't list the source of the meat and bone meal. What kind of meat is it? Beef? Chicken? Roadkill? Rendered lab animal carcasses?

What kind of animal fat?

BHA/BHT: these are possible human carcinogens...

If you are interested in looking for a different food for your lab, here are some good articles to read on what to look for:
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....e=labelinfo101
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....betterproducts
    http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....badingredients

Good luck!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Thanks for all the good information. I certainly appreciate it. And in response to the 'purple stuff,' I wasnt planning on starting to use it until all the meds the vet gave me are done.