Pick a good dog food...Helps with Allergies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick a good dog food...Helps with Allergies

Eileeno is offline Member

DefaultPick a good dog food...Helps with Allergies

I had my dog on Candide up until yesterday. After reading some of the forums i decided to change foods hoping it would help Rocco with his ear infections (Allergies). I was overwhelmed at pet supplies trying to pick a dog food that didn't contain gluten, grain or anything else that would be bad for allergies. As a treat I do give Rocco wellness treats, whitefish and sweet potato. I do like wellness food on the whole but think it is a really expensive. The bag was $48.00 for 30 pounds. I know there are just as good product that aren't as expensive. I decided to get Proplan Select Lamb and Oatmeal. Was this a good choice and can someone help me figure it all out.

Thanks for your help
    Rocco&#39;s Mom<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pick a good dog food...Helps with Allergies

has he been tested for allergies by a vet?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Eileeno is offline Member

no i havent had any tests done on Rocco yet. This is my own test. I want to change his food and see if it helps any. He does a lot of licking, but more objects then himself. He has had a constant ear infection for the last couple of months and he is on his second ear medicine. My vet states if this doesnt work then she will test for allergies. Before I spend 400.00 for test. I would like to see if the food change helps. if it does i will continue on the new food and then another check up on his ears. If the food doesnt help then I will test him for allergies.
    I bought Proplan Select Lamb & Oatmeal...It does have corn gluten and chicken meal but no rice. I dont feel I have enough knowledge on the subject to really try this out. SO i'm looking for some answers and maybe some good choices.
    Rocco&#39;s Mom<br /><br />

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I'd try a grain-free variety and see how he does.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...wcat.php/cat/8
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

The most common food allergens (in order) are beef, dairy products, chicken, wheat, chicken, eggs, corn, and soy. So I'd find a food without those ingredients if you're going to try a food test on your own. Rather than rattle off names, it may just be easier for you to go and read the labels at the place you purchase dog food. Some foods are available in some areas, others are not.

But just so you know, food allergies are pretty rare. Environmental allergens are much more common. However, I don't blame you for trying this first. Although it may not be the most likely, it is something you can try on your own first and with little cost. If it doesn't clear up, though (or you notice it comes back during certain seasons), you'll probably have to look beyond food.

Dani is offline Senior Member

I doubt then very much that your dog has allergies. He may have an intollerance to an ingredient, but not likely allergies.

My Rider licks everything too. I call him part deer. But he doesn't have allergies. I had him on a lamb based food for a while and once I switched to a grain free food, he has had very limited ear issues. I doubt that Rocco is going to stop licking objects if you change his food...may stop having ear issues, but probably not going to stop being a deer.

Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Also wanted to add, the grain-free varieties are a little more expensive, but totally worth it, IMO. One of my dogs is on a grain-free food that is $42.00 plus tax for fifteen pounds. I love it so much I'd even pay more than that.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

I'd spend the extra dollars on whatever food you can afford, if it works then it's worth it, it will save you from spending the money on vet visits and medications to cure the ear problems.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

Suegene is offline Senior Member

We tried Canidae again in the fall. I realize alot of people swear by it, but Cooper was extremely itchy on it. Lots of paw sucking and eye boogers. Very flaky coat. Sometimes a food just doesn't work.

We are back to Pro Plan - we are doing the fish formula now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast