Hello.. This is an update from my Flagyl post a few days ago.. We wet to the vet today bc Blinkee would eat a small meal (1/2 cup of food.. she is 75 lbs so it is nothing for her) and within 5 mins she would vomit it all up.. the doctor did a barium test on her and took x-rays and said it looks like she has a partial obstruction in her small intestine.. He said some of the barium made its way thru.. but some of it seemed to be redircted back into the small intestine.. he said since it was a "partial" blockage she could come home with us today and we should watch her thru the weekend in the hopes that maybe it will come unlodged.. he said sometimes that can happen.. and if she were to have a bowel movement it would be great (she hasn't had one in 3 days) He told us to feed her Ensure mixed with water (no solid food) and to let him know how she is monday morning.. If she still hasn't had a bowel movement then he would have to do exploratory surgery on her to see what is stuck... I'm a nervous wreck though bc I hate that he will be gone for most of the weekend.. Anyone else take their dog home for a few days with a partial blockage?? Or do most vets just do the surgery right away?? He said she would be fine and if it came out it would be even better bc she wouldn't need the surgery.. I'm just afraid something might happen.. Luckily she is keeping her water down and we gave her the first Ensure meal and she kept that down too so I guess that is good.. Anyone else ever give their dogs Ensure?? I thought it was odd.. but she hasn't had anything since Monday bc she kept vomiting.. so at least she is getting nutrients from it...
Hmmm...tough one. I would tend to say "trust your vet," but I don't like the thought that *anything* is in my babies, and worry that a partial obstruction can become a full obstruction if it moves downstream. Any obstruction or "foreign body" can cause problems with vasculature within the intestinal tract and can really compromise the tissue, as well, making surgery much more risky later on...
I'm glad she's keeping down water and the liquid diet, though. That's definitely a good sign. Ensure is pretty good at providing at least some important nutrients in animals (and humans) who can't keep down other foods. Pedialyte is a pretty good electrolyte solution, too.
I hope everything goes well over the weekend...do you have the number for an emergency vet in case you need them?
~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon
Yes that is exactly what I was worried about.. if the partial obstruction became a full obstruction.. I want to trust our vet though bc he has been good with her.. but I am paranoid.. He did say that the obstuction was a "soft" one and that was why he said maybe water or the Ensure could pass it thru and that was why he said she would be OK thru the weekend.. She has been looking much better today though after the Ensure.. I think she needed some energy from SOMETHING.. and she still keeps her water down and has been playing with her toys.. I assume if it were to become a full obstruction she wouldn't even be able to keep the water down right?? I am just gonna wait til tomorrow and see if maybe she has a bowel movement (that would be GREAT).. but if she starts to look a little off.. I will def be calling the emergency vet.. I have their number on a post-it on my desk..
You really have to trust your vet. It is not like he gave you options to choose from. Decision you might want to make, is do you think he delayed surgery for his convenience, or because he thought it the wise thing to do. If you have the wrong answer to that question, a new vet may be in order. Assuming you trust him, just make sure you know where the nearest e-vet is located, just in case.
Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.
I would trust my vet. I hope she poops though. Sending good thoughts. Please keep us updated.
Yes I do trust our vet.. I talked to him this morning actually.. He was very reassuring and seems to think she will not need surgery.. that it will just pass thru her.. I REALLY hope so.. so far she was been great today.. ate the Ensure, drank water and has been running around like her normal self.. still no poop though =( but I am hopeful.. I will keep u updated!! Thanks for the thoughts =)
Yes I have had dogs at home with partial obstructions
beng antisurgery I would prefer things to move on through naturally if at all possible (and its amazing what can and does move through)
as long as she isn't getting dehydrated I'd try not to worry too much
if she gets super lethargic, dehydrated or seems incredibly painful I'd either call my vet or get her to er asap
its very scary - I feel for ya
(and hope things pass fast!)
“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller
thanks for that last post. that helps me ALOT.. I would def much rather her not have surgery.. And I am hopeful that whatever it is can find its way out of her on its own.. She is def not dehydrated.. she drinks plenty of water.. and we mix a little in with the Ensure also.. she does seem to sleep a bit more than normal but i think it is bc she hasn't had a good meal in a few days.. when she plays, it is just like normal.. she is a crazy one year old lab lol.. so i would say she is not lethargic and doesn't seem to be in any pain.. she makes herself very comfortable on our couch (she hasn't wanted to go into her crate though.. and she used to LOVE her crate.. i think we spoiled her into sleeping in the living room and now she is taking advantage)
But yes it is very scary.. after every meal i pray she doesn't throw it up.. and i have never wanted a dog to poop so badly in my life lol.. I just glad to hear that it is possible (from personal experience) for her to pass it..
I would trust my vet. You could go to another and be told the same thing or something different and get more confused.
Good thoughts she is better soon.
Well.... Good news... She had a bowel movement about 2 hours ago.. WOOHOO.. I was sooooo happy.. I'm still a little guarded bc I want to make sure she has movements tomorrow.. but I know that this is a good sign.. Our vet said if she has one, u know that whatever it was broke up.... ;D
I thank you are for your good wishes =)