Dandruff!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dandruff!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultDandruff!

Anyone else notice more in the winter? Sammi has never had a problem with this, she is on the same food, no ear problems or any other signs of allergies. Nothing has changed in her diet, but I have noticed in the last week or two an increase in dandruff and was wondering if anyone else notices this in the winter with the heat on in the house and drier air! Just wondering! Di

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dandruff!

I've noticed more dandruff with Baloo, and I'm pretty sure it is directly related to it being dry in the house, with the heat on and whatnot. 

I've found that giving him fish oil and running the humidifier in our bedroom at night has helped a lot.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Di

I have always given her fish oil, and sardines once a week. So maybe I'll try the humidifier! Thxs.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JustineNYC Guest

Ive never noticed because my yellow lab is almost white....but I did notice it on my chocolate today! Id assume its normal after all, our skin is dry in the winter too.

Gene Guest

Just a normal winter thing, I'm sure. My chocolate has a little dandruff, I can't tell on Zoey, cuz she's so light.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

oh yeah! By the end of winter Rocky's dandruff gets bad. By summer it's pretty much all cleared up. I used fish oil for a long time but it didn't help any so i stopped (he's also on a supposedly better food now so I want to see if it will help).

I thought it was just him!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

humidifier - works like a charm for us every year. Never had to add anything to the diet.
    Kim

Di

Luckily I still have one left over from the kids'- it's a coolmist- I assume that's what you would use! Thx.s I'm sure it will help!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

humidifier - works like a charm for us every year. Never had to add anything to the diet.
    Ditto.

A humidifier will save discomfort and $$$$.

Before getting a humidifier, I kept the thermostat at 74° F / 23°C for winter comfort. With the humidifier usually set at 35%, it feels just as comfortable at 67° F / 19° C. And at night, I cut down the thermostat to 57° F / 14° C.

Yet to see the first flake of dandruff on Puff, winter or summer; we do use a capsule of fish oil daily but I think it's mainly the humidifier.

BTW, if any Labs have dandruff and are being bathed with ANY form of human shampoo (even baby shampoo) -- stop using that shampoo. Human skin is many times more acidic than Lab skin and human shampoos are formulated to be neutral for humans. That means they're many times too acidic for Lab skin. Switch to a good shampoo that's formulated for DOGS and you'll see a reduction of your Lab's dandruff and/or itching problems.

==============================================

FWIW, humidifiers can be fairly easily added to forced air heating systems (usually for $350-500) and require little maintenance. I added one at a previous home and also to the heating system of an office I was leasing.

Unfortunately, in our present home, because of the position of the gas furnace in relation to walls and duct work, it couldn't easily be done without extensive remodeling. So I'm using a portable until the furnace/AC is replaced.

The humidifier we use is an Emerson console that holds 2 tanks, each of which holds almost 2.5 gallons. It cost about $150 several years ago. Tanks need refilling less than once/24 hrs. Refilling should be done with a few ounces of bacteriostat (reduces chances of molds/bacterias) and decalcifier (prevents calcium buildup on the wicking.

++++++++++++++++++++

Added:

http://www.moistair.com/products.html
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Di

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    Ditto.

A humidifier will save discomfort and $$$$.

Before getting a humidifier, I kept the thermostat at 74° F / 23°C for winter comfort. With the humidifier usually set at 35%, it feels just as comfortable at 67° F / 19° C. And at night, I cut down the thermostat to 57° F / 14° C.

Yet to see the first flake of dandruff on Puff, winter or summer; we do use a capsule of fish oil daily but I think it's mainly the humidifier.

BTW, if any Labs have dandruff and are being bathed with ANY form of human shampoo (even baby shampoo) -- stop using that shampoo. Human skin is many times more acidic than Lab skin and human shampoos are formulated to be neutral for humans. That means they're many times too acidic for Lab skin. Switch to a good shampoo that's formulated for DOGS and you'll see a reduction of your Lab's dandruff and/or itching problems.

==============================================

FWIW, humidifiers can be fairly easily added to forced air heating systems (usually for $350-500) and require little maintenance. I added one at a previous home and also to the heating system of an office I was leasing.

Unfortunately, in our present home, because of the position of the gas furnace in relation to walls and duct work, it couldn't easily be done without extensive remodeling. So I'm using a portable until the furnace/AC is replaced.

The humidifier we use is an Emerson console that holds 2 tanks, each of which holds almost 3 gallons. It cost about $150 several years ago. Tanks need refilling less than once/24 hrs. Refilling should be done with a few ounces of bacteriostat (reduces chances of molds/bacterias) and decalcifier (prevents calcium buildup on the wicking.
    Thx.s again- I have the humidifier up and running so we'll see, I know it will take a little bit to see the difference but I'm sure it will help! We tend to keep our house pretty cool, set the thermostate at 68degrees in during the day and 62 at night. Sammi is almost 2 and has only had 2 baths in her life. So I'm sure its the drier air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast