Overcoming ear infections
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overcoming ear infections

blackjack is offline Senior Member

DefaultOvercoming ear infections

I am considering switching foods to get past what seems to be a never ending problem here All four dogs have had an ongoing infection for the past year or so. We finally got an all clear for one dog, but we are making trips to the vet every other month for ear checks. The beagles take ketoconazole two days a week (the one who got the all clear takes it every other week), BJ is not on any meds. I had switched them from Costco kibble to Canidae at the time we were looking for adult food for BJ in case the kibble was a contributor to the problem. I am considering switching again. Canidae has rice, but no wheat or corn. There are three foods that I am considering: Eagle Pack Holistic, Pinnacle and Taste of the Wild. Of the three, Taste of the Wild is the only one that is totally grain free. Does anyone have any experience with one of these brands? Do you think it is worth changing food again?

Rusty, Blaze & Buster Brown
    BJ - 3/9/2007 - 2/6/12 - miss you everyday
    Boomer - ? - 3/15/12 - always in my heart

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Overcoming ear infections

it could be. Rider was on Diamond Lamb and Rice for the longest time...and I switched him to EVO about 2 years ago....while we are not completely 100% ear problem free....we only have problems when I don't dry out his ears from swimming or if Rookie is continuously licking his ears...so I would say he has problems few and far between.

I don't much about those brands, but it may be to your advantage to give it a try.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

bbbmom is offline Senior Member

I am in the same situation. I have fed Canidae for years and have asked around. People tell me that I need to feed them a unique protein source and they've recommended Fish or Duck as the protein. I'm going to try Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato next month. A friend of mine with Goldens said that it solved her problems.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Do your dog groom each other. One thing I have noticed when it becomes ongoing and you have more than one dog, you normally have a carrier. Cinder carries the yeast all the time. Gryphon is the groomer. He is always doing things to harbor the yeast. Licking her ears and creating an environment for it to bloom and become infected. HE then gets the infection. Now I have Lily grooming HIS hears, she gets it and so on, and so on.
    Now when one gets it, I start treated all dogs with cleaning them twice a day. I am going through this right now. Cinder actually had to go off meds a few weeks back. When I did her yeasty ears came back right away. Gryph was cleaning them. Then he got a yucky ear, and now Lily. Now I am trying to battle them all daily to clean their ears.
    A large % of the time I doubt it is food related.
    Kim

labby is offline Senior Member

Sometimes they are food related, based on a protein source, but other times they are not. Helpful, eh?

I will say my dogs had horrid, raging ear infections when they were being fed Canidae. One of the reasons why I wouldn't feed that food if it was given to me for free. I much prefer a "middle of the road" food such as ProPlan. Since I made the switch back, my dogs are generally ear infection free.

Laura

Kim - yes we do have an ear licker - Buster the middle beagle. He was the first one to have an infection and he is also the one that the vet just declared clear. He is totally obsessed with ears - as I am typing this I have had to call him off the other three dogs. We have even tried bitter apple on their ears - he likes it - weird dog.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack
    ...We have even tried bitter apple on their ears - he likes it - weird dog.
    Not so weird in my house. HK loves apples, all kinds. The bitter apple stuff is worthless with her other than as an appetizer.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

labcrazy is offline Member

I am not saying it could be food related but if you want to give it a try ... our lab had cronic ear infections and anal sack problems (every 1-2months going to vet for something) as well as licking paws, and allergies. We switched 3 months ago to Eagle Pack Holistic Anchovy, Sardine ... and would now never use anything else. Have had NO ear infections, anal sack problems, licking is now only toys out of boredom (LOL) and no flare ups with regard to allergies. And as a bonus he has lost weight which our vet is glad about (was 100+ pounds). It can't hurt!
    Tara
    "Heaven goes by favor, if it went by merit you would stay out and your dog would go in" - Mark Twain

Labcrazy - does the anchovy sardine affect their breath? Not that it is all that pleasant to begin with.... The beagles all have anal sac issues too, not bad enough to go to the vet, but we do see carpet scooting some times and when they sit in the recliner with me with their butts against the leather arms, they sometimes leave a smell.

labcrazy is offline Member

I don't find that their breath is bad (but I brush teeth 3 times a week, greyhounds are known for having bad teeth, so I tend to stay on top of it). Bad breath was actually one of the ways we could tell when Remy was not feeling well. But the fish smell is no worse than any other food smell on their breath I don't think. I would recommend a container with a lid to store it in though.
    Tara
    "Heaven goes by favor, if it went by merit you would stay out and your dog would go in" - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast