SALT or dryness from winter on my dogs pads help

Thread: SALT or dryness from winter on my dogs pads help

lipplabbysmom is offline Member

DefaultSALT or dryness from winter on my dogs pads help

My dog is an indoor dog (I don't do outdoor dogs ) and I live in Michigan ..we have hard winters..he won't wear boots ok....I have noticed his paws are VERY rough and some are cracking....I started putting bag blam on them but my clothes are all stained as he lays and sits on me a lot....I will keep it up if need be but any ideas on how to condition his pads better..he only walks a short time on salt so I am just at a loss.....Also he JUST had a vet check and is minus being epileptic and having allergies not related to the paws he is in good health coat is awesome and so on.....Any tips would be appreciated.thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: SALT or dryness from winter on my dogs pads help

Dry cracked feet are normal. My dogs pads feel rough. If they are bad just continue to use the bagbalm. Put it on at night and crate him that way it will soak in and not get all over the place.
    Also were is he walking on salt? Roads or at your home? You can purchase a salt to put down that is safe at most pet supply stores.
    Kim

Eileeno is offline Member

My dog has the same problem. His feet are very rough, cracked and dry. I want to soften them but was afraid that Bag balm was toxic to animals if ingested. If I put it on his paw pads he will def try to like it off. How safe is it?
    Rocco&#39;s Mom<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

We use and are satisfied with "Musher's Secret". One application lasts us at least 2 days, sometimes 3.

It's a non-staining soft wax that's useful to protect dogs' paws from ice balls forming between toes and from salt and other chemicals in the winter as well as from hot surfaces in the summer.

I buy mine from KV Vet supply, 200 gr jar for $14, but I see they're out of stock www.kvvet.com You might ask them when they'll have more. If you Google "Musher's Secret" you'll find a lot of online places that sell it or perhaps you might get it locally. It's a Canadian made product.

Below are some customer reviews I've copied from Amazon:

"Musher's Secret is a God-Send" By J. G.

I live in Northern Michigan and have three dogs, two of them with arthritis and hip & joint problems. Before I found Musher's Secret, I would have to carry my dogs to their "potty spot" in the backyard, through all the snow, and then carry them back in--the pads of their paws and their feet would hurt so much, they couldn't walk back in on their own.
    I've tried dog boots, homemade boot concoctions and even had winter boots made for my dogs, all to no avail. They either slipped off as soon as I put them on or didn't do any good and my dogs feet STILL hurt them.
    Musher's Secret, though, has been a blessing. I apply it daily to my two older dogs and to my poodle and it's made SUCH a difference. We still can't leave them out too long in the winter weather, but I don't worry about their feet or their pads hurting, splitting, getting (pet safe) ice melter/salt in their pads or between their toes.
    I recommend Musher's Secret to EVERY dog owner and I'm looking forward to using it this summer when we take our dogs on walks on the city sidewalks--it's great for hot or cold weather, and we LOVE it.

"Musher's Secret dog paw protection", By D.D.

The Musher's Secret dog paw protection is excellent! It prevents snow balls in between the dog's toes, and conditions the paw beautifully. In addition, there are no messy paw prints in the car, as it dries clear and clean.

"Musher's Secret...a working dog's best friend" By D.

I'm an obedience and carting trainer with a Lab and a Newfoundland. I snowshoe with my dogs a lot. My Newfie loves the snow but hates the snowballs that form between his webbed toes. Before I used Musher's Secret, he ran in the snow for 5 mins. and then spent the rest of his snow playtime, sled pulling time chewing the snow from his feet. Now Maestro plays and carts for hours with no distractions. I'll never go a winter with dogs without it.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eileeno
    My dog has the same problem. His feet are very rough, cracked and dry. I want to soften them but was afraid that Bag balm was toxic to animals if ingested. If I put it on his paw pads he will def try to like it off. How safe is it?
    I have never heard anything about bag balm being unsafe. Its original purpose was to soften cow udders.

But I only use bag balm if there is a serious issue. Dog pads should probably not be soft and supple. Using bag balm too much will over soften the feet.

I have heard great things about Musher's Secret. Great way to protect the feet.
    Kim

Hey thank you Eleeno, cinder and Bob... I will try that new product I will look for it near by first..I have to copy and paste that name later The bag balm I have only used maybe a week and never when he was about to go out and yes lol my clothes were a mess...I have used it on me a few times but I don't eat it ..for a few days my dog hated the smell and left it alone...ugh now he licks it..I can't carry a huge dog around hahahaha..I saw those ads Bob and loled at the carrying the dogs out....I would make hubby do that ....We only have a tiny porch he has to step on when we go to the garage and maybe 3 human steps to the garage thats all that is salted...I will check out the fancy salt but will have to buy it when hubby isnt around he still doesnt know what we paid for the allergy tests

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I agree with Bob Pr., Mushers is THE BEST!!!!! My boys get walked on the pavement 3 times a day and this stuff keeps their pads soft an protected. It lasts for days.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Thanks Amy I plan to get some it sounds good and hey if it last for days thats even better ...Odd thing is we live way out in the country so my dog never walks on cement so I am thinking it has to be the salt and maybe cold but I dunno its so perplexing

thanks all

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I try to avoid the salt altogether but if for some reason we can't I wipe Oona's feet off with a wet room temperature wash cloth as soon as we get back into the house. Remember the salt is caustic on their feet.
    Olie