11 month old puppy with stomach problems

Thread: 11 month old puppy with stomach problems

mattjf is offline Junior Member

Default11 month old puppy with stomach problems

My 11 month old lab is having all kinds of issues this morning. Around 9am she started to whine. I opened my bedroom gate so she could run downstairs and get some water. For the last 6 months she whines every day at 9am because she wants some water and to get her toy to bring back upstairs (she will play for a little while I lay in bed). So I opened my gate and that's when I noticed.

She had pooped in my bedroom at some point during the night. She went in the very corner, and the way she was acting I could tell she was sorry and didn't mean to, but that she couldn't control it. She hasn't had an accident in the house in 6 months, so I know it's not just housebreaking issues. As I was looking at the poop, she threw up twice. It was a very small amount and I didn't see anything in it that looked bad. Just some string probably from a toy (very tiny amount). As I walked downstairs to get the cleaning supplies, I found that when I had opened the gate and she had run downstairs, she went into my office and had a VERY runny diarrhea. Most foul smelling thing ever. Basically all liquid.

I've let her out a few times, and she is running in my living room playing with a toy. She seems fine. Wants me to play tug-o-war with her.

I wrote in a previous post that she had ended up on Purina Beneful by accident. She was on it for about a month. When it ran out, I wanted to switch her back to a good brand. I've heard great things about Innova, so I switched her to it. Unfortunately, I had run out of Beneful quicker than I thought, so I wasn't able to slowly adjust her to the Innova.

She has been on it for 3 days now. Could this be the problem? Could the Innova be too heavy for her? It is Innova for Adult dogs. Vet said it was fine if she goes on Adult now. Is this not true? Should I try and keep her on this food? Please give detailed suggestions. I'm very worried.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: 11 month old puppy with stomach problems

It could be that the Innova is too rich for her. Beneful is mostly filler, so compared to beneful innova is super duper nutrient dense. (that's a good thing, but when switched fast like that it may be too much for her body to adjust to all at once)

Did you adjust the amount you're feeding her at all? She would need a lot less Innova than beneful.

ETA: I would withhold food for 24 hrs, then offer her a bit of boiled chicken and rice. once she has nice poops on that, then start a sllloooowwww transition to the innova.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

brody is offline Senior Member

I am not a vet so hesitate to offer any medical advice at all

BUT the fact that there was string in her vomit does concern me - can you figure out what it came from? string can really make a mess in the intestines ... it allows food past even as the intestine becomes inflammed and painful

if she changes attitude at all or continues to vomit and have accidents you should get her to a vet asap

dehydration can be fatal even without any other cause
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Have to agree with Conrad here. The string would concern me too. You didn't say how much string you found or what it was missing from.

Having said that, Innova is very rich and it gave my dogs really bad diarrhea. Maybe once you figure out about the string you should try a middle of the road or medium quality food instead.

Laura

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Have to agree with Conrad here.
    awwwwwww shucks you gonna make me blush woman!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

mattjf is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. Other than sleeping quite a bit today, she seems normal. She has been playing, and following me around wherever. I took a couple hour nap and so did she.

I think the "string" is actually from a rope toy she has. It has frayed ends (it came like that). She just started doing it, but it looks like she is pulling them off. I will get rid of it right away.

With that in mind, the food makes sense. To go from a filler food to such a rich food could be hitting her hard. I did not adjust the amount of food either. She is a VERY active dog, so I kept it the same. I don't know why I was so clueless with switching her food recently. I think I was just anxious to get her on something good.

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I hope she's feeling better I would probably fast her for 24 hours then feed the chicken and rice for a day then start adding the innova in small amounts or if you want to try a less rich food start that. She should need MUCH less of the Innova than the Beniful since it's a much more dense food and higher in calories. Start with the feeding instructions on the back and go from there. Feeding too much can also upset their stomach and most labs will eat whatever you put in their bowl.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Dani is offline Senior Member

Which Innova is she eating?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

SarahS is offline Junior Member

Uncontrollable super smelly diarrhea reminds me of when Sophie had giardia when she was about 9 months old. It took three separate stool tests to get a correct diagnosis. If your pup's symptoms dissipate but return a few weeks later, in spite of changes in diet, etc., consider getting her tested. Also, be careful of dehydration. Pale gums and skin that doesn't return quickly when pinched can be indicators. Sophie got so dehydrated from diarrhea (before we had a diagnosis) she was given an IV at the vet's office.