Toxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Toxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please

  1. #1
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    DefaultToxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please

    Rocky just ate some chocolate. It was dark (70%).

    How do you figure out how much is too much? He seems fine and at 81 pounds he needs quite abit to be sick but I want to be sure.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    DefaultRe: Toxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please

    never mind - I found this thread
    I was right - 1 ounce/pound is toxic - he ate 100 grams which (according to an online conversion tool) is about 3 ounces

    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,65581.0.html
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  4. #3
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    DefaultRe: Toxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please

    Do you have an ER vet you can call? I think he's all right but like you I'd like to be sure.



    Laura





  5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    imported_Nick's Avatar
    imported_Nick is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,765

    DefaultRe: Toxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please

    I agree with Laura. That 1 once per lb listed was for milk chocolate. Dark chocolate has much more theobromine than milk chocolate. I'm guessing dark is closer to baking chocolate (0.1 ounces/lb). Still, if that's accurate you're below .1 ounce/lb but I'd probably call just to be safe.

  7. #5
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    DefaultRe: Toxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please

    Just called. They said for a dog over 75 pounds, they would need about 750 grams of dark chocolate to be sick. He has abit under 100g so they said he's fine and just to watch him.

    Hopefully he can still run at flyball tomorrow I DID a spot check before leaving the house (ironically to go to the vet with Jake!) but didn't see/completely forgot about the chocolate there. I know I know, VERY VERY irresponsible of me.

    thanks everyone
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  8. #6
    imported_Nick's Avatar
    imported_Nick is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,765

    DefaultRe: Toxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please

    That's good...not that he ate it but that he'd have to eat that much. Don't beat yourself up over it, we've all done something like that.

  9. #7
    labby's Avatar
    labby is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    *points to her right palm*
    Posts
    29,548

    DefaultRe: Toxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please

    Good news. *whew*



    Laura





  10. #8
    Tanya is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,797

    DefaultRe: Toxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please

    Thanks for the advice/support

    Rocky is my buttheat He will not destroy a single thing but will eat anything he can. He's been crated since the holidays because he grabbed my bailey's bottle (yeah - the alcohol!). It was a very small bottle, and most of it spilled so I doubt he got more than a lick or two but still!! This was my first try at him out of the crate since then (3wks) and I thought I had put all the food away!! Guess not. And I left one of the worst foods out!!
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

  11. #9
    georgie's Avatar
    georgie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    22,832

    DefaultRe: Toxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please

    I'm glad he didn't eat too much. Try as we might....we sometimes leave thing out. Don't be too hard on yourself.

  12. #10
    Suegene is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Stow, OH
    Posts
    659

    DefaultRe: Toxicity of Chocolate - Help/Advise please

    You know, even with Cooper being the starved scavenger that he is, and us going through a routine when we leave the house (scan the kitchen, check the bungeed trash, check the pantry door, check the door to the basement, make sure the gates are propped), he still finds things. Last week he took a dish out of the sink that had cheese melted on it. Don't beat yourself up!

    Hope he does ok at fly ball!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25