dog odor

Thread: dog odor

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Defaultdog odor

Does a body odor usually mean something is wrong or could it just mean they need a bath? Jake has developed an odd odor this past week. Even my husband noticed it. He has no rash or itching. Hasn't gotten into anything that he'd need a bath. No anal gland problems. Several months ago he did have a slight yeast infection in his ear. Vet gave me meds and he seemed fine after. Checked his ears, no redness, dark stuff, clean as can be. I just don't know what it could be, but I hate having him at my feet! He has only had maybe two baths in his life and they were needed because of the mud he got in.

Brookville, Pa.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: dog odor

Yes,it can be an indication something is amiss health wise. Is it a doggy odor or bad breath or yeasty ears or anal glands? If he seems fine anyway, there is a spray you can make with the Gold Listerine and water. I think it's 50 - 50 solution. You spray your dog with it and towel him down. Freshens up the coat without bathing.

Some labs get too much oil accumulation in the coat and do need a bath as they'll smell a bit doggy.

I hope nothing is amiss and you can just freshen him up a bit

Caseys Mom Guest

DefaultRe: dog odor

One time when Hershey developed really nasty BO it turned out to be a staph infection of his skin so a skin infection (bacterial, yeast or fungal) is another possibility. Once we got Hershey on the correct antibiotics the smell went away.

I'm not as anti-bath as some so I'd probably go ahead and give Jake a bath. If that takes care of the smell, great. If the smell comes back in a few days then you know something else is going on and you probably should make a vet trip.