Rimadyl or Previcox

Thread: Rimadyl or Previcox

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRimadyl or Previcox

Wondering if anyone prefers one over the other. Thanks for any info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rimadyl or Previcox

I only have experience with Rimadyl. Ginger was on it for several years. She had no trouble and it gave her almost complete relief from her pain. Without it she could not get up by herself and could barely walk. We gave her the lowest dose that would allow her to be mobile. She had no problems while on it. We had her blood work done every 6 months.

Brookville, Pa.

Linda I've use Rimadyl successfully in the past as well. I'm told that Previcox is easier on the liver, but I've also heard of stomach ulcerations on it, although that can happen on Rimadyl as well. So I'm not sure which would be best for short term pain management. My vet is leaning toward Previcox, my breeder had a dog that ulcerated on it. Hoping to get some more ideas here. Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Caseys Mom Guest

Linda - If you want an nsaid your choices pretty much are:
    ETOGESIC (etodolac)
    RIMADYL (carprofen)
    METACAM (meloxicam)
    DERAMAXX (deracoxib)
    PREVICOX (firocoxib)
    ZUBRIN (tepoxalin)
    NOVOX (carprofen)

My vet is very anti rimadyl because a number of his patients have had bad experinces with it. When Hershey had to go on nsaids long term, we went first with etogesic (about a year) and then switched to metacam (11 months) when it became available in the U.S. The vet thought that the metacam would be a little safer but really Hershey did fine with both and I couldn't see any difference between them as to how they relieved his OA pain.

I'm not sure what kind pain issues you're having to deal with but if it's just a short term thing you might also consider using aspirin. To be sure there are possible gi issues but many dogs don't have them and do quite well with it.

If you've used rimadyl in the past on the same dog and not had problems with it, perhaps you should just stay with that rather than experimenting with something new. Sorry if this is not too much help. I'm just throwing out some random thoughts...

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Who's having pain issues Linda?

Sammy was on Rimadyl and I didn't see any difference in him at all. Switched him over to Metacam and he improved immediately. Metacam is safer, in my opinion.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Thanks for the come backs. I'll discuss with my vet again on Saturday at class. Magnum is a bit ouchy after hard running. She wants to compete. Yes, SHE wants to do it. She thrives when she does agility and I'm not about to pull her out until I absolutely have to. Vet suggested Previcox a day or two before the trial and through the trials. I wouldn't keep her on it any longer than that at this point.

I don't like running her on meds, but as vet explained, its no different that me popping two Aleve and running (and I agree with this).

This is not her ACL leg. She's got a touch of arthritis in her front toe and shoulder.

Like us, it's better to stay active as long as they (the dogs) can.