Eagle Pack Holistic Solution/digestive enzyme?

Thread: Eagle Pack Holistic Solution/digestive enzyme?

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

DefaultEagle Pack Holistic Solution/digestive enzyme?

I was mentioning to the owner of "Star Barks", the place I buy Jonah's food (they special order Orijen Puppy and hold it in the back for me), that he's been having tummy troubles on and off. He said his dog, a lab mix, occasionally gets soft stools, and he sprinkles Eagle Pack Holistic Solution on it's food and poop hardens up within a day or two. I decided to get it to give it a try, but was wondering if any others have had any experience with it. I've never even heard of some of the ingredients (I'm assuming they are the digestive enzymes?).

Ingredients:
    Stabilized Rice Bran, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Natural Chicken Flavor, Inulin, Dried Aspergillus niger Extract, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Extract, L. acidophilus, L. casei, B. subtillus, B. licheniformis, B. coagulins, Aspergillus niger, Lactococcus lactis, Enterococcus faecium.

*Total Lactic Acid Bacteria: 5 billion CFU/g
    (L. acidophilus, L. casei, Enterococcus faecium)
    *Total Bacillus Microorganisms: 150 million CFU/g
    (B. Subtillus, B. licheniformis, B. Coagulins)
    *Protease
    (from Aspergillus oryzae & Aspergillus niger) (1)
    *Cellulase
    (from Aspergillus oryzae & Aspergillus niger) (2)
    *Amylase
    (from Aspergillus oryzae & Aspergillus niger) (3)

Enzyme functionality statement: Product contains enzymes. Protease for protein hydrolysis; Cellulase for cellulose hydrolysis; Amylase for starch hydrolysis.

http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Solution.html
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eagle Pack Holistic Solution/digestive enzyme?

Most everything listed there are probiotics. You will find some of use use them every day ... both humans and dogs.

Probiotics are dietary supplements containing potentially beneficial bacteria or yeasts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic

Quote Originally Posted by lablover
    Most everything listed there are probiotics. You will find some of use use them every day ... both humans and dogs.

Probiotics are dietary supplements containing potentially beneficial bacteria or yeasts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic
    Darn, is that all that's there? I had already gotten some probiotics for him (well, for me too, so they won't go to waste). I thought it had some of those digestive enzymes people talk about in there as well!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Allyson (That is your name, right? If not, so sorry... :-[) I just started this new stuff for Baloo, it's a digestive enyme/probiotic combo that was recommended to me by some people on the board:
    http://www.nzymes.com/product_bacpak_plus_fortified.htm

Maybe that might help...?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Allyson (That is your name, right? If not, so sorry... :-[) I just started this new stuff for Baloo, it's a digestive enyme/probiotic combo that was recommended to me by some people on the board:
    http://www.nzymes.com/product_bacpak_plus_fortified.htm

Maybe that might help...?
    Thanks, Kate! It looks like it has a lot of the same ingredients. Do you happen to know which ingredients are the "digestive enzymes" as opposed to the probiotics, or are they one and the same and I'm confusing myself? The article talks about the probiotics, but looking at the ingredients and analysis, it is very close to what is in the stuff I got for Jonah (except the whey/yeast/yucca, Jonah's has rice and something called INULIN).

Let me know how it works for Baloo. Just started this stuff for Jonah last night, so we'll see how it goes, and maybe next time I'll try the stuff you recommended (since I already bought this, I figure I'll use it up first). Also added a little pumpkin to his meal (still hoping he doesn't have diarrhea when we go out of town tomorrow; the only time he ever had an accident in the kennel was when he had it in November, and I just don't want my friend to have to clean up a mess like that; she may never want to keep him again!). His poop last night was hard, but very soft again this morning! Driving me crazy!

Oh, yes, my name is Allyson! Good memory (and spelling it right to boot!)~

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I know they're not the same.... does that help...? :-[ ;D

Maybe this'll help....?
    What is an Enzyme?
    Enzymes are proteins produced by all living organisms, and, like all proteins, they consist of amino acids. What makes these proteins different from other proteins is how they behave in the body. By definition, enzymes are catalysts that make many essential biochemical reactions ‘happen’ and are not used up or chemically altered in the process. As a catalyst, they help a chemical reaction take place quickly and efficiently. Some reactions would either happen very slowly or not occur at all without enzymes. So a little bit of enzyme can effect a big change.

The same variety of amino acids that occur in all living things make up enzymes. The amino acids connect in particular sequences to form protein chains. The amino acids in the chain often bond together creating folding patterns and twisting into certain shapes. The particular folding pattern of each enzyme gives it distinct characteristics and functions. When anything disrupts the specific folding pattern, the enzyme often loses its ability to function, becoming inactivated or destroyed.
    Illustration of Gastrointestinal Tract

How do enzymes work?

Each type of enzyme has a special function and works in a particular way. Enzymes are essential to every aspect of life and carry out all the daily biochemical functions. They are the basic elements that activate all functions in the body, facilitate reactions that build compounds from the body’s raw materials, transport elements throughout the body, break down substances, and eliminate many unwanted chemicals in the body.

Enzymes are chemicals that facilitate other chemical reactions. Food itself is essentially just a mixture of chemicals that are broken down by enzymes. The released nutrients are the raw materials. Vitamins and other nutrients cannot work in the body by themselves. They require enzymes to transport them throughout the body and make use of them. Enzymes unlock the benefits of vitamins, minerals, proteins, and hormones and put them to work in the body. Enzymes are the workers and assist many biological, chemical, and metabolic reactions, but are not ‘alive’ themselves.

Sometimes particular enzymes need certain vitamins and minerals in order to function. Magnesium participates in over 300 enzyme reactions. These additional elements are called co-enzymes. A co-enzyme may give the enzyme the three-dimensional structure it needs to create the ‘active site’ necessary to perform its catalytic function. If a needed co-enzyme is not available, the enzyme will not function.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

The other Eagle product (Transition) has the enzymes and probiotics in it.
    http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Transition.html
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Quote Originally Posted by Labs4me
    The other Eagle product (Transition) has the enzymes and probiotics in it.
    http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Transition.html
    But see, I'm pretty sure the Holistic Solutions has it in there too, as it says on the bottle it includes digestive enzymes, probiotics, and Inulin.

This is from the first part of the article that talks about what is in mine:

"The ingredients in Holistic Solution™ are biologic tools that resolve the illness naturally by introducing Digestive Enzymes to ease the strain on the digestive system. Probiotics supplement the beneficial bacteria that occur naturally in the pet's system. Holistic Solution™ provides Prebiotics (Inulin), a food source for the beneficial bacteria so they stay strong and healthy. Few remedies offer this natural, 3-way, holistic approach to resolve symptoms. Holistic Solution™ resolves the symptoms by naturally restoring the gut to its' normal healthy state"

Anyway, we'll see if it helps! Thanks for all the thoughts!

gerst001 is offline Senior Member

I don't think these products work that often...let us know