Update: Something is wrong with Riley's leg?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update: Something is wrong with Riley's leg?

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

DefaultUpdate: Something is wrong with Riley's leg?

Update: My girl is a chubby witch. Get into vet's waiting room, she acts like it's a party, dancing around and eating their treats. We had to wait for an hour to get in as they had an emergency, which seemed to be just fine with the witch b/c that gave her time to play with another dog that was also waiting. She was still limping, but she didnt look nearly as pathetic before we got there.

Vet checked her over and found the sore spot above her knee but said he didn't feel a tear. He checked for Lyme disease, negative. Says it might be just a severe sprain or worst case early signs of hip displasia. I could either wait for a few days and see if it got better or do xrays. I chose to do xrays, knowing how neurotic I can be and I swear she was so pathetic last night and this morning. Xrays looked great, he said she has a "fine" set of hips ;D! So 2.5 hours and $325 later, it's a sprain. Oh, he says "keep activity limited until the weekend". We get back in the car and she's mopey again >. We got home so I let her out to pee, she literally hauled a$$ across the yard chasing a squirrel. She saw that I was watching and limped her chubbiness back to me.

I'll fix her .... she's 77lbs, up from 66 lbs in Sept. Can you say "diet"

Thanks, everyone, for keeping me grounded....

Riley was acting a bit out of sorts yesterday...wouldn't eat breakfast, just kind of moped, although she did insist on her walk seemed fine, about 45 minutes twice yesterday. She ate dinner, pooped, then back to sleep.

This morning she sort of wiggled left to right when she walked, and was favoring her right hind leg. She went outside to pee, then ate but stood eating with the leg in the air. I went home at lunch, and as time went on, she was limping a lot within 30 minutes (she had been in her crate for the morning). She tried to go upstairs, and fell midway ???!!! Scared the hell of me, so I kind of held her when she came back down. She laid on her back for a belly rub so I was able to check her feet and leg, and couldn't find anything and she didn't wince or pull away from me when I moved the leg in and out, or side to side.

I had to go back to work, so she's back in her crate and I have an appt. with her vet tomorrow morning....Meantime, any ideas what this could be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Something is wrong with Riley's leg?

It's probably just a pulled muscle. There's no way of really knowing until the vet checks it out. I wouldn't be walking her or doing any form of exercise until you see the vet (it could just make it worse).

How old is Riley? Is she in pretty good shape? Is her weight ok? Was she doing anything she doesn't ordinarily do where she could have strained a muscle (horse playing with kids, strenuous tug-of-war, etc.)? These are all things a vet will want to know when manipulating the leg and diagnosing her condition.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

No ideas, but I hope Riley's OK. I know how upsetting it can be to watch them hurting.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Riley is almost 1 (b-day in 2.5 weeks). She weighs about 65-68 lbs I think, so I don't think it's a weight issue. She did zoom out of the house yesterday afternoon and chased a squirrel (leg didn't seem to bother her then :). But she was acting strange prior to that.

I literally got tears in my eyes when she fell down the stairs, b/c that is exactly what happened to Callie on the day she crossed. She fell down the stairs, was having problems with hind quarters, so I took her to the vet. They ended up opening her up and she had cancer in liver and spleen. What still bothers me the most is that she never ever showed signs of pain or discomfort. If she had, I might have been able to save her. The obvious difference is that Callie was 9 and Riley is 1. I'm sure I'm just being neurotic.

Oh boy, no walkie tonight. She's gonna be obnoxious. I'll tell her jlab said NO !!! ;D

I would even go one step further than no walk and try to keep her completely quiet. Sounds impossible, but trust me, it can be done!

When Baloo hurt himself in October and we didn't know what it was, he was either in his crate or tied to one of us (quite literally! Leash was attached to him and tied around our waist. ;D) at all times during the day and night. We did this for two and a half weeks.

Good luck!
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

DefaultSomething is wrong with Riley's leg -- more worried than before.

Ok, now I'm worried even more. Maybe I'm just being neurotic, but now she won't even put any pressure on the leg or let me touch it. She won't eat her food still, but she did drink water. I called the vet to see if I can give her Rimadyl (leftover from her spay), and she said yes, only one dose tonight so she can see better what's going on tomorrow, but she must eat first, even if just a little. I had chicken from last night, so she ate some of that and got the Rimadyl in her with some peanut butter. Hopefully that will let her rest more comfortably for the night.

She's trying to rest now but must not be able to get comfortable as she keeps going from spot to spot. Gonna be a long night.....

I'll think good thoughts for her (and you!) Keep us updated.
    Kate
    We're Superdogs!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a torn ACL.

Hoping you get a diagnosis soon.

A torn ACL is very fixable.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

They ended up opening her up and she had cancer in liver and spleen. What still bothers me the most is that she never ever showed signs of pain or discomfort.
    That's hemangiosarcoma, two of my dogs had it. And no, you won't see pain or discomfort until, unfortunately, it's too late usually. The falling down is part of it, due to lack of blood flow. RILEY DOES NOT HAVE THIS so please don't think that!! Maybe she just strained a muscle. Frankie did awhile ago and he was limping on and off for a couple of weeks. I'll be watching for an update.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I hope Riley's appointment went ok this morning any news?
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast