food question (quality vs dog preference)

Thread: food question (quality vs dog preference)

mattjf is offline Junior Member

Defaultfood question (quality vs dog preference)

I have a black lab puppy and my brother has a yellow lab puppy. I am dog sitting for my brother right now. We both feed Purina Pro Plan to our labs. My parents made a mistake and accidently bought Purina Beneful for my brothers dog (must have just heard "Purina" and thought it was that, since it's the one advertised most).

Anyway, they gave it to my brothers dog and he LOVED it. My dog ate some of it too and now I can't get her to eat her food. If I just put down the Pro Plan neither dog will eat very much. If I put down the Beneful they will both eat it.

I want to give my dog the best food possible, but I also want her to like it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any quality brands that would be similar in taste to the Beneful? Any suggestions (keep feeding beneful, force back to another brand, etc.?).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: food question (quality vs dog preference)

Of course the dogs love Beneful, it actually HAS sugar in it. My dogs are sugar fiends!

I would just stick to your guns, tough love...put the Pro Plan down, give them 1/2 hr to eat and then take it up. The dogs won't die if they miss a meal or two and will be happy to be eating Pro Plan again then.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I can't help you with the preference, my dogs would actually eat dirt if I put it in their bowls.

I also recommend sticking with the better food, in the end, you know whats best for them and they really only know what tastes better, they count on you to worry about the nutrition aspect of it.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

[Any quality brands that would be similar in taste to the Beneful?
    As already mentioned, Beneful contains various sugars, colourants and additives in order to artificially enhance flavour. Put nicely, it contains about as much quality nutrition as a cardboard box does.

I agree with the suggestions above. Give them a set period to eat (the ProPlan, or if you switch foods, whatever you switch to) and if they don't eat it, tough. Pick it up and don't offer them more until their next meal time. They will quickly learn to eat when the food is offered. NO healthy dog will starve themself.

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

Agree with the others. I like cheese cake and french fries more than veggies and salad, but guess which one is better for me!

imported_bacatherine is offline Senior Member

I totally agree with the others. Give them only the ProPlan for 15-20 minutes don't make a fuss about it then take it up until the next feeding if they don't eat. I've had to do this with Mocha when she was younger she didn't eat for 2 days but after that she at with gusto.
    <br />Barbara, Mocha, Zeus, &amp; Smeagol

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I totally agree with the others. Give them only the ProPlan for 15-20 minutes don't make a fuss about it then take it up until the next feeding if they don't eat. I've had to do this with Mocha when she was younger she didn't eat for 2 days but after that she at with gusto.
    100% agree

Agree with the others. I like cheese cake and french fries more than veggies and salad, but guess which one is better for me!
    ;D ;D ;D ;D Well argued, well said
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    Pardon me, but I do believe that is a solid arguement for a course of dairy and a veggie/starch. And if the cheese cake has cherry, blueberry, or strawberry....well.....that would be your fruit. :P
    Kim

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Of course the dogs love Beneful, it actually HAS sugar in it. My dogs are sugar fiends!

I would just stick to your guns, tough love...put the Pro Plan down, give them 1/2 hr to eat and then take it up. The dogs won't die if they miss a meal or two and will be happy to be eating Pro Plan again then.
    Totally agree, they won't starve themselves.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)