Seeking info on third eyelid issue

Thread: Seeking info on third eyelid issue

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultSeeking info on third eyelid issue

Hershey Kisses, 1 year old.
    Normal day yesterday, nothing unusual.

About 8:30 last night, I notice what I think is her third eyelid, pinkish thing that seems to come up from the bottom of the eye, is covering close to half her eye. Doesn't seem to bother her, no rubbing or scratching. I try to hold eye open to look and after a few blinks it seems to go back to wherever it usually is. A few minutes later, it is back. I put some ointment in both her eyes before bedtime, stuff vet gave me when she had pink eye about a month ago.

This morning, when she was doing her normal early morning rub the goop out of my eyes against the sofa, I examined to find the third eye lid covering some of her eye again. By the time she got done with feeding and early morning walk, it appeared normal again.

Should I be headed for vet right away? Giving it some time to resolve itself, another day, couple days? Home care type recommendations? Any insight on what I might be trying to describe?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jan elaine Guest

DefaultRe: Seeking info on third eyelid issue

Boy, you are having a time with HK lately aren't you?! Poor girl. Could you just call the vet without taking her in? I know they always like to see them but then theres another $50. I'd probably just watch it another day unless it seems to bother her. Goodluck!

Dani is offline Senior Member

Could be conjectivitis...it wouldn't hurt to see a vet...rush? no...see one, yes.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MagsMom
    Boy, you are having a time with HK lately aren't you?! Poor girl. Could you just call the vet without taking her in? I know they always like to see them but then theres another $50. I'd probably just watch it another day unless it seems to bother her. Goodluck!
    'having a time' or just being an over protective doting father? ;D She's my girl for now, and I know that a problem caught early is a lot easier to correct and less expensive. If they could only talk and tell us what is going on, but no. They take on this air of being bullet proof to their discomforts and leave us guessing. I'm just looking for thoughts. If the eye is the same when I get home today, she probably goes to the vet. Ifit appears to be okay, well Dad did what he could seeking information.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Bad Dad! Bad! Kennel! NOW!

Got home and saw some improvement, but not comfortable. Visit to the vet. I love these guys and gals. They squeeze me in.

So, Ed! This looks like conjnctivitis/pink eye like last time. Did you apply the ointment for 7 days, and make sure you got it on the eyeball surface.

Well! I got it on the eyeball, every time. But she really didn't like the process so when it appeared to be all clearedup after 3 days, I figured why put her through it.

Well, Ed, this is why. She needs it for 7 consectutive days. If you stop after three, she has to start new for 7 consectutive days. See, n ow she has to put up with you for 10 days total. Please apologize to Ms. Kisses (their name for her) now. Do you promise to put the ointment on for consecutive days, 3 times a day?

Okay! Okay! You made your point. 7 days.

Lets make sure you are clear on this. This is the Monday afternoon (Jan 7th) dose. Another one tonight at bedtime, and then 3 each day until next Monday, (Jan 14th) when she gets a morning dosage. Do you have it? Would you like me to write it down for you?

Bad Dad! Kennel now.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Just to add... I had dealings with eye problems on Remington and the only thing that finally cleared him up was to put him on a systemic anti-inflammatory (Rimadyl). After just one pill, his eyes cleared dramatically.

Thanks Raian. This is good to know and have in my information base. I appreciate it.

Ed (aka Hershey Kisses Dad, aka Endofile)