Was It A Dream Or A Seizure?

Thread: Was It A Dream Or A Seizure?

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

DefaultWas It A Dream Or A Seizure?

Many times during sleep Breezy will dream, and her legs will 'run' back and forth, her body will twitch a little, sometimes she will even let out a tiny little bark. The other night though, something happened and I'm a little concerned. I must point out too, that I wasn't home at the time so can only report what my husband relayed to me. He said they were both on the couch, he watching football, and she sleeping. Then he said her legs started moving, her eyes rolled around and she was sticking her tongue in and out a bunch of times. I don't know if he tried to wake her up during this or if he tried saying her name and if she responded or not. I didn't think to ask that when he was telling me about it, but now, after reading a little about seizures, I am concerned. I'm wondering if it wasn't just a dream episode? She acted pretty normal the rest of the night from what I could tell. It was around 8:30 when I got home and she normally chills out around this time anyway so it was hard for me to tell if all was 'normal'. She slept most of the rest of the night, as she had had a busy day and most likely was tired. She ate normal, pooped normal. The only thing that wasn't normal that day was when we were walking on the beach she got a hold of some mussel shells and as hard as I tried to get her not to eat them, she did indeed swallow some pieces. Her breath was horrible after that, and she passed some really lethal gas. Should I contact the vet, or just keep a close eye on her for now? Thanks for any advice.
    Catherine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Was It A Dream Or A Seizure?

It sounds like she was dreaming. You should see some of the crazy things my guys do when they're in a deep sleep!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

sunnylaz is offline Senior Member

Jonah has had some serious dreams, squealing noises, tongue hanging in and out, shaking, moving legs, twitching eyes, etc and I sort of thought the same thing the first time (is this a seizure?). But when I called his name, he woke up just fine. If your husband had tried to get her out of it and she didn't respond, I'd think seizure. I guess find out if he did anything or just watched it. If he didn't do anything, I guess there's no way to tell for sure, but I'd bet a dream, especially if she was sleeping already when it started.
    <br />Jonah - born 6/20/07

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

99.999% of the time, it's a dream.

I agree 100% with sunnylaz's suggestions
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I would say dream too. I work in withdrawal management (alcohol/drugs), and it's a commonly accepted tidbit that people don't seize when they sleep. If they're going to have a seizure, it will normally be during the day, or at times of wakefulness.

I'm assuming its the same for dogs.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

When Kiska was alive, she would dream. She kicked her legs, the eyes would roll, and at time all sorts of sounds from growls, wimpers, barks and woffy sounds. At times it sounded like she would wake the dead with all of her noise but I could wake her up with a touch or calling her name. Attu just snores.

Dawna
    Moma to Attu a 5 year old chocolate lab. Kiska--At the rainbow bridge--Born March 1996 Died October 2007. Moma to Dreidel 10 month old Golden retriever.

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

I wanted to ask about this too. I never paid much attention before, but the other day I was looking at him. He was sleeping. His eyes were rolling in the back of his head, and he was moving all limbs. I got worried and tried to wake him to see if he was already awake or dreaming, looks like it was a dream.