Another Supplement Question.........Sorry!

Thread: Another Supplement Question.........Sorry!

lablover88 is offline Member

DefaultAnother Supplement Question.........Sorry!

Okay.......I hate to ask another supplement question, but I am really confused by all the past threads. So, forgive me!

I would like to start giving my 3 1/2 year old a supplement for his skin and coat. I notice that people recommend Omega 3, Nutricoat 8 in 1, and Fish Oil. So, my question is where do you get these and what is the correct dosage? Bailey weighs about 67 lbs (he's a little guy apparently). It's safe right?

My vet recommended that I try an iron supplement because Bailey has really tender feet. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know where I'd get such a supplement and what the correct dosage is? My experience with the vets in the small city I live in has NOT been pleasant, so I trust you all more than them!

Thanks a bunch - Jamie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Another Supplement Question.........Sorry!

Are you having coat/skin issues that you feel you need a supplement to help with? If you are feeding a good food that agrees him, you shouldn't need a coat/skin supplement. In the winter, I do give one fish oil tab and run a humidifer to help with the itchies. Once the itchies stop, I keep the humidifer going and quit the fish oil tab. Dutch is the only one of my guys who gets any sort of supplement for coat as he basically has none even on the best of food. He uses one scoop of Nupro on his food daily and it has made a huge difference. I stopped it for about 6 months and all the issues returned. Once back on it; he's got fuzz and normal colored skin again.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I supplement with wild sockeye salmon oil (get it at a local organic grocery store) and it helps tremendously with the dandruffies. The humidifier helps as well.

Baloo gets 1 capsule twice daily with meals, each capsule contains 1000 mg of fish oil, which contains 90 mg of DHA and 90 mg of EPA. There was a good discussion of dosages in this thread (as well as some other important info):
    https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,65876.0.html

Can't help with the iron, sorry.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lablover88 is offline Member

Well........Bailey's issues are more with his feet. He always seems to be cutting his pads, so I thought that maybe a skin and coat supplement would strengthen the skin on this pads. He doesn't have any itching or dandruff issues, so maybe this type of supplement isn't necessary.

Again, my vet recommended iron, but I hadn't seen any postings relating to an iron supplement, so I thought I'd check first!

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lablover88
    Well........Bailey's issues are more with his feet. He always seems to be cutting his pads, so I thought that maybe a skin and coat supplement would strengthen the skin on this pads. He doesn't have any itching or dandruff issues, so maybe this type of supplement isn't necessary.

Again, my vet recommended iron, but I hadn't seen any postings relating to an iron supplement, so I thought I'd check first!
    I don't know about iron supplements, but maybe you could try some "Musher's Secret" instead? http://www.lucy-the-dog.com/musherssecret.html I thought I read someplace it also toughens pads as well as protects them.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lablover88

I would try making a blend of oils that is listed in the book The Whole Pet Diet by Andi Brown.
    5 oz of olive oil
    1 oz cod liver oil
    1 oz wheat germ oil
    1 oz flax seed oil
    1 clove of garlic OR 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon of dried rosemary

I just started using this on all of my dogs, on the 1st of the month and my old girl who is 12.5 has had terrible elbow callouses. One of the first things that I noticed (along with the reduction in shedding) is that her callouses are actually starting to heal. She has had issues with the calluses for over 2 years and I have tried virtually all kinds of creams, ect. I called Halo Pets (the owner of the company is the author of the book mentioned above) and asked if they had ever heard of such a thing and they said yes. Based on my own experience I would say yes it will strengthen the skin on his pads. BTW the book is a great read. http://shop.halopets.com/product1.cf...Category_ID=48
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC