He's fat....

Thread: He's fat....

luanne is offline Junior Member

DefaultHe's fat....

Hunter is my 1.5 year old lab/gsd mix. He's got that large round lab body but he's gotten fat. He's about 95-100 lbs. You have to push to feel his ribs. He gets no people food but will get treats when we are training. He's eating Wellness right now. 2 cups per day. I mix it with canned pumpkin in the morning and then pumpkin and green beans at night.

Does anyone have any suggestions about feeding and how to get his weight down?

Thanks!

Lu
    Mom to:<br />Gracie 2 yr GSD<br />Hunter 9 mo old lab/GSD mix

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: He's fat....

More exercise, less food. My Lab has been cut down to 3/4 cup twice a day and is at a good weight per my vet. Seems like to little to feed her, but she is happy with it. Big Note: Treats count. It is really a simple equation of calories in/calories out. If more calories in than our, then the weight goes up with those extra calories. Just like people.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Maybe the pumpkin is the culprit. How much are you giving him? What's the reason for giving it to him everyday, twice a day?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Check his thyroid.
    <br />Oregon

Maybe the pumpkin is the culprit. How much are you giving him? What's the reason for giving it to him everyday, twice a day?
    Because he was getting more food than what he is now. Someone told me that pumpkin is a filler and that I could reduce the food intake, add some pumpkin and that would help fill him up. He gets a dollop.

It's been awhile since I've had a lab and he likes to pretend he's starving even though he gets enough food! I was reminded that I could pour the entire bag of food in his bowl and he would act like it wasn't enough! :

I have a female GSD that is indifferent about food. Polar opposites....{sigh}.

On the next vet visit I'll get a wellness check done and ask what they think about it as well.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Lu

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How much exercise is he getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    How much exercise is he getting?
    Probably not enough. It's hard this time of year but we (me, Hunter and Gracie) try to go out and run around in the back yard for 1/2 hour periods. On the weekends we go out a few times a day. And running in the snow has to help too.

Lu

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It's hard this time of year but we (me, Hunter and Gracie) try to go out and run around in the back yard for 1/2 hour periods. On the weekends we go out a few times a day. And running in the snow has to help too.
    More structured exercise is needed. Playing in the backyard is fun but it is not structured exercise. Daily walks are essential (off leash if possible) for both physical and mental stimulation. Also, anything that gets them running is great. Play with other dogs, swimming, retrieving, free running, etc., for a good hour a day. A good hour of exercise every day combined with the correct diet is enough to keep most adult dogs fit and healthy.

mastergardener is offline Junior Member

We have good luck giving our "always starving" Maddie raw baby carrots as treats. That might be a low cal way to help with training...