EVO Causing Weight Gain?

Thread: EVO Causing Weight Gain?

mastergardener is offline Junior Member

DefaultEVO Causing Weight Gain?

Hi all, we recently switched our 6 year old lab to EVO from plain old Innova. The pet store that we trust said that it would help control her weight and all we can discern is that she is gaining weight not losing it. I did a google search and read mixed reviews on this food, e.g., high protein is bad for dogs, causes gas and other problems, bad for kidneys, etc. Anyone have experience or thoughts with high protein diets?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: EVO Causing Weight Gain?

Evo is extremely high in protein and fat so your average dog is going to gain weight on it, unless you feed minuscule amount. How much are you feeding? How much does/should your dog weigh?
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Maddie is "round" at 70+ pounds. I am not sure what she weighs now, but I can tell by looking at her that she's gained weight since we switched her over to EVO. It's become more noticeable recently, and we have about half a large bag left.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I feed it and it's great...HOWEVER..you can't feed the same amount you were feeding. My 4.5 year old gets 1 c. two times a day and he's 88 lbs. Where he should be...he's also fairly active to extremely active so his exercise keeps his weight down. He's gained 5 lbs since winter hit...as we are not as active in the cold....but in the summer he get's down to 82-84 lbs.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I agree with Dani. When I put my boys on the EVO we went from 1.5 cups twice a day to 1 cup twice a day.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you want a grain free that will help with weight, consider Wellness Core Reduced Fat. Maddy gets that and does well on it. EVO is very protein and fat concentrated, which is not necessarily right for each dog, and since your dog is an older dog, I am assuming that their activity level is NOT super energized like a young dog, so EVO probably isn't the best choice for you unless you feed a much smaller amount (cup a meal or less).

Yup, our dog Maddie is not extremely active at 6 years old (though she has always been on the mellow side), and we were feeding her 1 cup twice daily and did not change the quantity after switching to EVO. Meals are the highlight of her day, so I was sort of loathe to reduce her portion size. I forgot to mention though that we actually mixed the regular EVO with low fat EVO and she still gained weight on it. We also noticed more itching and a yeast infection in her ears, which I understand are potentially symptoms of food allergy. So effective today, we are going to migrate her over to California Natural low fat rice and lamb. It's manufactured by the same folks who produce Innova and EVO, so we'll see. If anyone has experience with California Natural, I'd be interested in hearing about your thoughts. I read that it supposed to better for dogs with sensitivities to food.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It sounds as though California Natural may suit your dog better. As others have mentioned, EVO is very calorie dense and is especially suited to active dogs who need that bit extra.

I personally wouldn't feed the low-fat version of any food. The protein and fat levels are too low and this can lead to a loss of coat condition and itchy skin. 'Diet' foods also tend to contain more grains and a higher level of fibre, meaning that you are paying more for what is essentially a subsidized quality of food.