Petmeds website?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petmeds website?

Barbian0521 is offline Member

DefaultPetmeds website?

Does anyone know of a good/cheap website to go through in ordering pet meds. Preferably one that doesn't sell expired meds. I'm looking to refill our Rimadyl, Tramedol, Amitriptilyne, and Synovi.
    <br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jlab Guest

DefaultRe: Petmeds website?

I did much research on online pet pharmacies about a year ago and Petscriptions was the best one I found:

http://petscriptions.com/

My local vet was going to charge me $250.00 for doxycycline to treat lyme disease that they detected in both my labs at the time. I looked at several websites and found the exact same medication from Petscriptions for $20.00. The vet tried to make me feel guilty by saying that all the web based pet pharmacies were shady and sold expired or nearly expired meds. The vet claimed that's why the web pharmacies were so inexpense. I got an empty bottle of the doxycycline from the vet and called the pharmacist at petscriptions. It was the exact same drug from the same manufacturer. The petscription pharmacist stated that they could not legally sell expired meds or they could lose their license (they're licensed in all 50 states). I ordered and received the meds from petsciptions and they were exactly as advertised - same exact meds as the vet wanted to sell me. The expiration date was about 1 year in the future.

Since then, I've purchased both prescription and non-perscription meds from petscriptions. Price is really good and service has been excellent. One time I made a mistake when I placed a web order and the pharmacist called me about 30 minutes later for confirmation because it was slightly different than the product I normally ordered from them.

Wow, sounds like they have great service too! Do you need a written script from the vet or do they take your word for it? My other problem is that I have found most of them cheaper at Target but since some of them are suppliments and pet only pain meds they don't carry them. That, and my vet is charging me $15 per medication per year. So thats about $75 extra a year just for getting them cheaper?!? Stupid and totally defeats the purpose of going elsewhere....
    <br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

Interesting. Everything I checked that I use there is exactly the same cost as I would pay at my vet...minus shipping.

I actually find kvvet.com cheaper than petscriptions, and they have free shipping on most stuff. Their customer service is great as well.

You do need a prescription for those...no taking of word for it.

But if your vet is only charging you $15 per medication for a full year...you are getting a steal. I think you should be happy he's letting you get off so nice.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

jlab Guest

Your vet is charging you $15 extra per medication per year just to write the perscription??? If that's the case, then I'd be dropping that vet so fast that their heads would be spinning. And I'd let them know why they were being dropped.

I had a similar experience with the vet that I was telling you about who was charging $250 for the same medication that I could get for $20 at petscriptions. I had been going to this vet practice for about 5 years with no problems getting them to write perscriptions for web meds. All they have to do is fax the perscription to the on-line pharmacy. Well, the practice was recently sold to a corporation (Petco I think) and they instituted all these new policies. One was that they wouldn't write a perscription for web-based pharmacies usless the client signed a statement releasing them for all liability if the treatment did not work. Even if you signed the statement, they would absolutely not fax the perscription to the web based pharmacy. I'm pretty sure that no licensed pharmacy can accept a fax from anyone except the doctor who wrote the perscription. The vets at this practice had their hands tied. They didn't agree with the policy but if they wanted to stay employed they had to go along with all these new policies. I spent all my time arguing with the office manager. I finally told them to pound sand and called around and easily found another vet who didn't have a problem faxing in a perscription (at no extra charge, no release statement to sign) to a web based pharmacy.

In answer to your question, yes you need your vet office to fax a written script to the web based pharmacy (it's required by state laws for human or pet meds). Most vets will do this at no charge and no hassle because they want your business. If they don't want to do it, then drop that vet and call around and find a vet who will.

jlab Guest

I'm a little confused now after seeing Dani's post. Is your vet giving you each med itself for $15 per year or is he charging you $15 per year just to write the perscription for each med?

Quote Originally Posted by jlab
    I'm a little confused now after seeing Dani's post. Is your vet giving you each med itself for $15 per year or is he charging you $15 per year just to write the perscription for each med?
    He is charging me $15 per med, per year. But considering I have a 1 1/2 year old and 2 year old lab who are both on a significant amount of meds, especially pain meds we will be getting for the next 12+ years we are going to spend a pretty penny in script fee's just so the vet doesn't lose money?!?

This isn't the only problem I have had with them though. And since we have been very good clients and they know that we have a dog with a lifetime of problems, I would assume that they would work with us on occation. I know some vets will give you a discount when your animal is on a certain med for their entire life time. I can't remember which one I called that said they did that. I am definetly looking for another vet. One who can give me honest advice, not just advice on what they make money on (speaking of food, that was my other problem).
    <br />

Dani is offline Senior Member

HOnestly, that is still cheaper than you are going to find anywhere on the net. You should be thankful.

Rhymadil is dangerous to a dog for the lifetime...what is the reason you would be keeping your dog on it for life?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I still don't understand what the $15.00 is for. Is it for WRITING the script or the meds themselves.

Also, I don't think you want to give your one year old rimadyl for 12 years. I understand the HD problem, but you can't give rimadyl for that long period of time. You can give glucosamine/chon and MSM supplements NOW and then aspirin when he looks like he is feeling bad and save rimadyl for when it is really needed. Depending on how severe the HD is, you might think of surgery and therapy, but not rimadyl starting now for life. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I buy some of my pet meds through entirelypets.com

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Just steer clear of petmeds.com or 1800petmeds - they have numerous lawsuits pending against them and had to reorganize under a new name more than once.

I don't disagree with vets having you sign a release there have been too many cases of expired meds going through internet pharmacies for both people and animals - especially with something for pain, heart or seizures, etc. I would certainly want my clients releasing me of liability if they decide to get medications from an unverified source. (Often the meds are bought not directly from the drug manufacturers, but from a third party person or from overseas). I do think charging $15 to write a perscription is a little steep, but it's their perogative - if you disagree with it that much tell them you'd like them to match the online price or you're going somewhere else.

Personally, rather than go online, I get Atopica (cyclosporin) compounded by a local family-owned pharmacy. It's much smaller and much cheaper to have it made just for my dog than to get it from my vet - they were happy I found it smaller and cheaper (they get it direct from Novartis) and wrote me an Rx for it. Maybe you could look into that option? Ours can also make the medications flavored if they're liquid in dog-friendly flavors

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast