this is my first post on here in a few months. sorry in advance if this is long. about 2 months ago i noticed a lump on my dog Storm's snout. after about a week of it not going away, i took Storm to my vet. while at the vet, we also found a small growth/lump inside his mouth on his upper gum, above his k-9 tooth. my vet didn't seem to know what the lump or growth was. my vet and her associates all felt that if Storm were an older dog , they would think it might be cancerous growths. but considering his young age, they didn't think it could be cancer. plus Storm seemed to be bright and energetic otherwise. so my vet gave me some anti-biotics and said to return in a week if the lump/ growth didn't go away.
i go back with Storm a week later. this time the vet wants me to come in the next day and leave Storm there so they can sedate him and take a couple of x-rays. i pick storm up after the x-rays the next day and the x-rays don't show the vet anything. the vet now gives me a different type of anti-biotic and says to come back in a week .i go back in a week and at this piont, the growth in his mouth has gotten a bit larger and tender to the touch. me vet decides to refer Storm to dental vet. i decide to make an appt. for Storm at the Univ. of Penn vet hospital. which is one of the best in the world. my local vet gives me some anti-biotics and pain meds to hold Storm over until he can be seen at Penn. i take Storm to Penn 10 days later and the soft tissue vet there wants me to bring Storm back the next day and leave him overnight so they can do a biopsy and take some dental x-rays. the Penn vet told me that it would be very rare for Storm to have cancer but he has seen it before.
friday afternoon i finally get the dreaded call from the vet at Penn. he says the biopsy results came back as malignant and that Storm has Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma.. i don't want to come accross as cheap, but we basically spent $1000 to find out that Storm has cancer and the Penn vet said the surgery that would be needed to try and remove all the cancerous tissue would cost close to $3000. he said doing the surgery wouldn't guarantee that storm would be 100% cancer free or that the cancer would not return. he also said the surgery is very radical and invasive. Storm would lose alot of teeth and most of his upper jawbone on one side.
we haven't decided what we will do yet. right now we are just trying to keep Storm comfortable and happy. i'm very unhappy about this and i'm trying to figure out if someone is to blame for this.i bought Storm when he was 9 weeks old and right from the start he seemed to almost always have some type of ailment. upon bringing him home , i found out he had coccidia. i called the breeder about that and the breeder paid for the medicine and lab tests until the coccidia cleared up. a few weeks after that Storm developed an eye infection. he had green goo oozing out of one of his eyes. i had to take him to the vet for that . the eye infection cleared up and re-occured 2 more times after that. a month or two after that Storm seemed to be limping from time to time. after another vet visit, the vet diagnosed him as having pano. a month or so after that i noticed alot of what appeared to be dirt in one of his ears. yet another vet visit, he was diagnosed as having a yeast infection in his ear. that took 2 differnt type of ear drops and several weeks to finally clear up. then i noticed the lump on his snout.
the dog was under warranty for 10 days after i remove him from their premises to be healthy and free from any hereditary defects. he is waranted for 1 year to be free from hip dysplasia. for 1 year to be free from congenital
defects. when i say 1 year i mean until the dogs 1st birthday. the fact that Storm is only 10 1/2 months old, i wonder if there is anything i can do.. i haven't been in touch with the breeder since i found out about the cancer but i will be making a call in the near future. the ailments Storm had as a puppy are kind of common i think, at least when a dog has them individually. but to have all of them and then have a cancer diagnosis. that seems just to messed up.i know storm isn't a used car . my family is crushed right now over all this. to have it happen at christmas too. my wife is crying constantly
if anyone could give me some advice i'd appreciate greatly.---- thanks
I'm so sorry to hear that you and your family are going through this. I unfortunately, can't comment as I have never been in this type of predicament. My Rowan is 17 months old, and 'knock on wood' has had no medical issues.
I am sure there are people here that will give you advice and guidance. ALthough, I'm sure there is no easy answer.
I would be in touch with the breeder ASAP... good luck. You and your pup are in my thoughts and prayers.
I'm so very sorry you are going thru this. I know it is heart breaking. Unfortunately you are talking about a living, breathing being. To my knowledge, Mother Nature gives no "guarantees" and sometimes things happen that are out of everyone's control including the breeder's. The best you can do is always research the breeder thoroughly to ensure that they do the necessary health testing on their dogs. That stacks the deck in your favor but in no way guarantees you won't have any issues.
I'd definitely let the breeder know what is going on immediately. S/he may or may not be aware of cancer in their lines but they need to know. As to what you do from there, that's between the breeder and you. Did you have a contract? What did it say about health guarantees? I know it says 10 days, 1 yr etc but what does it way will happen if the dog is not healthy at that time?...Return the dog and get a replacement, keep the dog and get a replacement at a later date, pay for the vet bills or 1/2 the bills, etc? There are a least a million different ways to write the contract language.
Good luck and I'll keep that sweet puppy in my prayers.
<br /><br />Lydia, Murray & Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek's Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur's Essence RE NAC TNN JHE
I know from personal experience how devastating it can be to have a dog diagnosed w/ cancer at a young age. Though I feel guilty saying that my girl was four at the time of her diagnosis. And yes it took us many trips to the vets(about 2 months as well) and different ones at that to get a diagnosis. I too spent quite a bit of money just getting the diagnosis.
I don't know anything about oral cancers, but if you're going to treat him I would get Storm to an oncologist right away. They have the knowledge and expertise to treat cancer, and they can actually cure about half of all cancers in dogs. The three most important factors are the age of the dog, the type of cancer, and whether or not the cancer has spread. There were many dogs at the cancer center where I took my girl to who's owners were told by other vets that there was nothing that could be done. Many of these dogs were either cured or they were able to treat the dog to provide it with a good quality of life(for some dogs months and others 2 plus years). Not everyone lives within driving distance of an oncologist as they seem to be in short supply in the dog world, but if you decide to go this route and one does not live near you perhaps you could find one willing to work with a local vet via the phone.
The cancer clinic I took my girl to had a fund set up for people who truly could not afford to pay for their dog. I'm not sure how it worked, but if money is an issue(and I know it's expensive) it's possible that you may be able to find some money elsewhere. There are other fundations and funds set up for this sort of thing.
Best of luck to you, your family and to Storm at this difficult time.
I just want to say how sorry I am. Lots of good healing thoughts for Storm.
~Veronica and Nikki~
Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....
Nikki 6 months
I am so sorry, but all I can give you is prayers and ((((Hugs)))). :-[
First of all let me just say how very sorry I am. I can't even imagine what your family must be going through. Second, let me say that you have done everything right so far. You have done all the testing required and recommened. At this point I would talk to not only your vet but also the specialist and ask them about the "quaility" of life your dog will have if you put him thru the surgery, chemo, ect. I will probably get blasted for this but so what. I am willing to do whatever it takes to keep my pup well and happy. But I am not willing to keep her alive only to give her a partial life of pain and constant medications. Sorry, but I'm not. I wouldn't do it to myself so I would not do it to her. Third, get a realistic cost in writing up front of the treatment. And if you go with it ask about help with the finances. Grants, any drs. who would donate their time, ect. Explore all avenues. Actually the vets themselves might know of any foundations willing to help. Also definitely call the breeder. All your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated.
I'm very sorry to hear about Storm but as Lydia said, there are no guarantees with mother nature. It's heartbreaking. I would recommend contacting the breeder asap. Best of luck on your decisions with Storm.
Dani, Rider & Rookie
SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC
Member Since 6/2003
I'm so sorry you and Storm are going through this.....
Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]
Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
So very sorry for what you are going through...prayers and good thoughts coming Storm's way.