Winter litters and occurrence of dysplasia

Thread: Winter litters and occurrence of dysplasia

LabsLand is offline Senior Member

DefaultWinter litters and occurrence of dysplasia

Have you observed any relationship between the season and the occurrence of dysplasia in your litters?

I found this in my Internet search, and was wondering what your experience has been in raising Labrador Retrievers:

One Norwegian anecdotal study published in England in 1991 concluded that German Wirehaired Pointer, English Setter, Irish Setter, Gordon Setter and Labrador Retriever puppies growing up during the spring and summer had a lower incidence rate of hip dysplasia than puppies growing up during autumn and winter.
    Source: http://www.labradornet.com/ddyspla.html

I. Hanssen. Hip dysplasia in dogs in relation to their month of birth. Vet Rec, 1991;425-6. German wirehaired pointers, English, Irish and Gordon setters, and labrador retrievers that were puppies during the spring and summer had a significantly lower incidence of hip dysplasia than those growing up during the autumn and winter. However, golden retrievers and German shepherd dogs did not show the same seasonal pattern of incidence of hip dysplasia.
    Source: http://www.showdogsupersite.com/hips.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Winter litters and occurrence of dysplasia

When Jes was first diagnosed I started reading as much as I could on hip dysplasia, and there is a link. I think it's a fairly week link, but it may be a stronger link in those areas with harsher winters. It's not so much the calendar date as the condition of the ground. If the ground is frozen solid, it's much less forgiving than thawed ground. It goes back to exercise. Just as you wouldn't run your pup on pavement, you probably shouldn't do the same on ground that is frozen solid.

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

Well that's just weird.

I had a dysplastic boy born in November and an OFA excellent girl born in late September, so its still a crap shoot!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

My puppy was born in November.. so I am not even going to think about this.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Dawson Creek Girl:
    I think what Nick says about exercising them on hard frozen soil is what is probably dangerous.

I guess since I want to know as much as I can so I can have a happy and healthy puppy. I want to read what breeders have experienced in areas where they have snow in the winter, and see if there is any correlation and how to mitigate the risk.

I have been reading your stories about Rowan and now your anticipation to get your new boy.
    I am happy for you. ;D
    I hope I can find the puppy I want soon.
    Happy New Year and enjoy even the anticipation, as many have said, it probably seems like it is taking forever, and pretty soon you will showing us some gorgeous pictures.

imported_Nick is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson Creek Girl
    My puppy was born in November.. so I am not even going to think about this.
    I wouldn't worry. It's just another risk factor...and not a dominant one at that. The study I read had a pretty low p-factor, meaning the correlation wasn't very strong. Of course, you have to have the genes to even worry about the factors, but calcium intake, total caloric intake, and exercise are far more predictive than birth month.

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

I agree with Nick, I wouldn't worry too much. Blue's sire was born in Oct and had Good hips and normal elbows (his sire before him was also an Oct pup with Good hips), and our new pup's sire was also born in Oct and has Excellent hips and normal elbows. So, I agree with Nick that the other factors probably have to be there as well. I can't for the life of me ever believe that a puppy is doomed to be dysplastic simply because of it's birthdate or the season of it's birth. It's not something I'm willing to put complete faith into (maybe a little common sense as Nick pointed out, but not complete faith)- not when I know there are results to the contrary.
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Due to my occupation, my litters need to be whelped between Oct 15th and Mar 1 now so pups are in their new homes (and settled in) before my busy season starts in late July. My very first litter was born in mid May, however, and so she definitely was in her major growth time in the winter (is OFA good, elbows clear, and 12.5 yrs old now w/o even a hint of arthritis). I'm 5 generations into my lines, and only have had one pup years ago out of a field breeding (she grew ugly fast...) come up w/ HD, and that was not severe enough to have to do surgery on. The rest have come back OFA Good or Excellent, as have the other pups in competition homes. My feeling is 1) look at genetics, and don't limit yourself to the parents-- look at the whole vertical pedigree w/ siblings, grandparents, and greats. 2) Moderate exercise while maintaining a lean weight. 3) Limit jumping until after growth plate closure (should be common sense, but...). 4) Good nutrition, including joint supplementation in pups esp if pup is in training for hunt tests, etc and is more subject to injury, and low/balanced Ca:P ratios to help slow the growth. 5) Genetics-- I'm breeding for a slower growing line now because of what I saw w/ Mollie's growth--- and breeding similar type dogs that seem to me more structurally compatible, ie, don't put a very heavy boned dog w/ a light boned bitch--- make any changes slowly, over a matter of generations.

IMO, it's a package, not just one thing, that folks need to look at when selecting a litter. Patience is nice too. 8) You'd not believe the number of folks that end up buying from a different breeder because the puppy is "there". Doesn't matter that it was from uncleared parents or young parents w/ just pre-lims...
    Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Thank you Anne.
    I guess I am getting a bit paranoid, and the study I referred to seemed to have some scientific background, and as you well said and some others have mentioned here, it is not only one factor but the combination of them, and I think you summarized the key criteria I need to be aware of.

I hope I won't become an worrier partner to my puppy to be. I just want to be informed.

Thanks again to you all. I think it is through this type of discussions that we, the novice ones, can learn and make better decisions in choosing a breeder and raising healthy and happy dogs.